1975 Cherokee 360; oil jetting out of filter

Just inserted a rebuilt 360 into my 75 Jeep Cherokee. Started up great; except oil jets out of the top of the oil filter at the rate of about a pint a second. My suspicion is that the oil pressure relief valve is not opening. What accentuates my suspicion is that the previous build did not have the valve installed...there was just a spring in the sleeve where the valve goes.

Is this a known issue? Is it common to not install the bypass valve? Or, is there something wrong with the cylinder in my oil pump where the bypass valve sits? Or do you think there's something else wrong entirely?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers

Reply to
Kirby

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the help and quick reply. It's much appreciated. I just wanted verify to make sure I understand: you're suggest> Hi Kirby,

Kirby

Is the pressure relief valve a pan dump or a filter bypass valve?

If it isn't installed, it is my belief that the oil pressure will be almost 0 if it is a pan dump type and 'normal' if it is a filter bypass valve.

I have only seen this valve used once and that was on a V8 Chevy engine. The owner had never changed the oil and the filter was blocked. His pressure spiked to 80 or so, then dropped way down but kept some, then spiked, etc....

I do not think the bypass valve is there to adjust pressure, only as a fail-safe for a blocked filter.

I would be suspecting something is blocking the output on the filter or just you have a bad filter gasket.

The blockage could have been the reason the previous owner pulled the valve to try and stop the oil bypassing the filter via it's O ring gasket....

Isn't there some issue with getting the pump gear on the correct side to the front or the oil pressure goes crazy and/or the cam doesn't get oiled?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Sure you don't have two gaskets stuck in there by accident? That will sure make a mess.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Kirby

May I ask who 'rebuilt' that engine?

If it was 'professionally' done, well... I would sure be worried about the quality of that 'rebuild'. Starting up a dry engine will destroy it in minutes if not seconds.

Mike

Mike Romain

It would be prudent to replace the filter adaptor, just so your new plunger can mate with a new bore and experience longer service life.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to