OT: American national ID card

You probably haven't heard about the ID amendment tacked onto the most recent Iraq war budget bill. If it passes, within 3 years we will supposedly be one of those "your papers!" 1984 Orwellian fascist state. Everyone will be required to carry a national ID card.

You can go to

and fax your representatives about this. Please do so, it takes only a minute.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

.............I'm not a fascist and I'm for it. Given that most adults drive on the roads, it won't be too much of a change anyway compared to having a driver's license. Fake ID's are a big problem and it'll be interesting to see how technology is used to make it more difficult to 'manufacture' an ID.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I'm a strong conservative but I'd be for this if it were only part of driver?s licenses. That way illegal non-citizens would have a tougher time getting a drivers license.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Hopefully it will have a smart chip for online id and a digital finger print capture as well as DNA string.

Reply to
Wolfgang

No, you aren't.

But it doesn't go far enough. The Chip should be able to be scanned from a useful distance so we can catch noncompliants, therefore it would be more reasonable to have a more powerful device - one which could be scanned from a wide area for unregistered miscreants, then throw their asses in jail until they either leave the country, or comply, become conformists so we can also track what they buy, eat, drink, and read. Oh, and tie it to their new Internet 2C access rights so we can track them there.

Meanwhile, dogs will run free.

Reply to
JJS

............Not here where I live they don't. The animal control officer is very good at rounding up strays.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Where I live we just shoot 'em dead on the spot. Same thing should be done to these perps who don't agree with national chipping. Then we work on the next undesirable group. VW owners, maybe.

Reply to
JJS

...............Nope. I'm not biting.

.......And I kind of doubt that shooting stray dogs is something that you'd want to be proud of.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Becoming wiser in your semi-old age.

It's a bit different in farm country, but if a dog behaves like a domestic we will take it to the humane society if we can catch it, and let them do their thing. (My big dog Pico kept the miscreants and coyote from livestock or the house - a Win-Win situation .) Now feral cats are truly a different story. No second chance. They are easy to figure out. If I haven't posted the horror story here before, just nudge me.

Reply to
JJS

My dogs have implanted ID chips!

Reply to
Wes Pearson

My dogs are all implanted also and stay in fenced areas which is what some in government would like for us all. Any way I had to get a new Military ID for base privilages a few weeks ago and they now scan your right index fingerprint which is plugged into a computer which puts it into the national data base. I see all sides of such arguments, don't like it at all, but know it is just the start. As I googled a satallite image of my place, listening to satallite radio, I realized that an implanted chip in my right arm (where they do it in humans) could complete the equation needed because the technology exists to position us as easy as a cell phone calling "your" number.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Hmmm... be really worried if your implant is model #666.

Reply to
Red Bug

People are arguing about the same thing here in the UK. I don't understand, I think it is a really good idea! Most other countries had to have an ID card for years now.

Reply to
Howard Rose

..............It's not clear to me why anyone who doesn't have something to hide or isn't some kind of whacked-out nut would object to an ID either. There is an underlying paranoia in regard to governmental authority that seems to drive this issue for some. Here in the USA, all you've got to do is say Ruby Ridge or Branch Davidian and they start foaming at the mouth while they go into a tirade about individual liberties versus the jack-booted thugs of governmental authority. I'd just as soon send them to Antartica for some terminal rehabilitation.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" :

With respect, Tim, there is the question concerning the rationale behind the ID idea. What good will it do? So far it seems to be just another self-serving stupid idea from one harebrained professional politician. It did not arise from the needs of the people.

The people we need to fear won't be daunted one bit by a national ID.

Reply to
JJS

Reply to
Tim Rogers

..............How so? Will they bribe someone to get an ID? Will they buy a forged one? Sure, they'll try but this is the information age and the technology is evolving that will slam the door on them. It's going to happen. As soon as there's another successful terrorist attack that gets everyone focused on the lack of security in this country.......it'll happen.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Terrorists are not deterred by an ID card. Ever. To implement the technology you imagine would entail far more than a passive ID - it would require the constant monitoring of every single person in ways that you should find frightening. Once people accept that particular loss of freedom, you can expect to lose even more. It is, in truth, a slippery slope.

Are you aware of the bill that goes before state legislatures every single year to outlaw automobiles older than 10 or 15 years? Similarly, there is a movement to chip-monitor all automobiles. It is done under the auspices of making "safe roads". Using your reasoning, I guess there is nothing wrong with that, either. Kiss your Bug goodbye.

Reply to
JJS

...............Active or passive, it is going to happen. As a deterrence, it'll only work if it's implemented which in practical terms means that monitoring will have to be automated which will take away this issue of of privacy. The IRS already knows everything that any individual could ever want to know about you or me. The reason that we don't worry about it too much is that it's such an impersonal entity that there's no concern about privacy or freedom so long as we pay.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote

The IRS doesn't know as much about us as our insurance companies do. Remember, the insurance industry has, literally, more money than the government.

In any event, we disagree on the wisdom of a national monitoring program. I will let it be. I don't want to cast a shadow over our good mutual interests in other regards.

Reply to
JJS