OT: Cold record from 1999

Just happened to land on a page where I saw the temperature on the coldest recorded day in Finland: -60.7F (-51.5C).

I do remember that winter, although it didn't get that cold where I lived. (stayed at a comfortable -40F). Car tires rock solid, shocks frozen solid, all rubber and plastic parts rock hard... :)

Glad to live in Florida now :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Well, it was kind of cold... I have skied (downhill carving) in like -32 C (-26 F) though. Not that bad. It is all about what you wear ;)

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Umm, I have rolled around naked in the snow at -40F :D

(Just because there was an opportunity and I could)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

MMm, yes, and the Pope is a nazi!(Hold on! He's Austrian, right?)

Admit admit, it was only -28.. Well, perhaps 32 but not a degree lower! :}

Must say I do not think I have ever seen below 29-30 minus, which was plenty cold for me.

The worst is when it stays that cold for a week or so, not good for outdoors activities like you know what.

Berg

I've always wondered why in the distant past when human populations were migrating out all around the planet that any particular tribe would get to a place like Finland, experience a winter with -40ºC temperatures and then decide to stay? As for me, it would only take one -40ºC night to convince me to head southward asap. In fact, the temperatures would have to get no where near that cold to convince me to leave.

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

I've experienced -40F up in the mountains in Idaho. I liked the place for other reasons but I haven't been back in 20 years...

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

I remember sitting on plastic Honda seat at -31 degrees and it breaking in all directions like ice would. When it warmed up the seat looked like it had been cut by a razor blade.

Reply to
Dennis

Reply to
Kirk

Its 42deg C at the moment wher I am in Australia. Know a bloke in Wagga Wagga where it got so hot the road tar was squishing out from under the tyres! Pity we couldn,t swap a few degrees between us. Cheers John

Reply to
John