OT: control on TV content

I just read on my european newspaper that Janet Jackson's breast on MTV was such a big issue that some people are considering a heavier control on TV contents and swearing. Could any of the american ramvites confirm this news?

Ant

Reply to
Ant

Show an *almost* bare breast ( it was never bare ) on TV, and America is in chaos.

Hypocrites. I'd like to comment further but I might step on someone's virtual toes, and crush them as if they were made of hollow glass. So I won't. I'm nice that way.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I heard that the TV networks were so worried about the Grammy awards, that they had a 5 minute delay before the viewer could see and hear what was said on TV. The advertisers were livid about Janet and Justin because everyone was talking about the Boob and not their ads. AOL was an advertiser, and is said to want a discount in the millions of dollars on their ad price. A bank clerk from Knoxville is filing a class action suit for millions of dollars because of the incident. In the days following the Super Bowl, the search engines say that Janet Jackson was the most popular search word that was being typed in. This could turn our to be the most expensive boob in history. Article about it here.

Bill Berckman Cincinnati VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures

Bill Berckman

could turn our to be the most expensive boob in history. >

More expensive than either Bill Clinton or GW? :)

People are too stupid to realize they are being played to help revive the career of another failing Jackson offspring.

Sneaks

68 T1 - Ocho
Reply to
Sneaks

Any publicity is good publicity. Stay in the headlines, you'll be remembered. Sad to see it go to this. happens over here too.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Gasp! Avert thine eyes and get thee (Janet) to a nunnery! Seriously, the whole pop/hollyweird culture thing is a lot like the high carb/calorie processed food diet that is wrecking the health of Americans (and now beginning in other countries). I know it sounds old-fartish, but I think there would be a lot good coming out of people tuning this garbage out. Home cook a simple meal, actually talk with one another, and afterwards, instead of watching the tube, pile the kids into the vdub and fweem yourself (I still like the car culture part) to a hiking trail, park, library, bookstore, etc.

Reply to
K5

K5 wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

I know it sounds old-fartish, but I think

I couldn't agree more.

Reply to
Ant

You're ridiculous. It's easy and necessary to criticize our shortcomings but - not saying this is you - the only people I know that do not want to live in America or apologize for being American are losers.

Reply to
K5

C'mon, just because you were born in that piece of land you have to like it? That conclusion of yours makes no sense to me. Besides, there are many billions of people who do not want to live there, and in fact do not live there, are all that people losers? I guess love is blind.

Ant

K5 wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Umm.. hate to burst your bubble, but the "masses" do not wish to move to america. Many do, myself included, but each for their own individual reasons. Rarely, if ever, people want to move to america because it's america.

And basically (you might want to sit down before reading further), the rest of the civilized world is more often laughing at the USA for it's backwardness than admiting it's achievements. Sorry, not my words nor my idea, just happens to be that way.

Now I realize that this is largely due to the message that is delivered to teh rest of the world via television, movies, and news reports. Neither of which do a very good job at portraying the true america or it's people. If you tried, nobody would be interested. It always has to be something flamboyant, or devastating, or dramatic, etc. to get noticed. Who would want to learn that the average american family half way across the globe from for example the stinky french or the stuck up germans, is actually pretty much identical to what they see in their own homes. College tuitions, mortgages, jobs, losing jobs, raising kids, eating dinner at varying times of the day.

The sad part is that there are a few too many individuals *inside* america who are brainwashed by the US media to believe in and try to reach for the "good" life (Whatever that is for each of you) or how things "are supposed" to be.

Before flaming me to death, please note that this whole thing works the same way in many other countries as well. You could turn the tables and not much would change. The US downfall is it's enormous size, compared to the midget states of Europe for example. While our percentages of plain idiots and fame-seeking other retards may be the same, your

*volume* simply drowns the rest of us out.

Us, the dumb-as-boot ignorant power-hungry gullible morons of the remaining continents deserve to be noticed too!

My point with all of this?

I don't know. If you find one, I'll buy you a beer. German beer. ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

an intentional breast....

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

No, you are free to not like it. But, that's not what I said. I made an observation - so it's just that - my observation; America-haters that live here, that I see, are disgruntled losers. I know a lot of people from around the world that come here and are confused by some things but see the beauty, the ingenuity, the people, etc., and tell me how lucky they think that I am to live here; they see our way of life and they like it (and I'm not referring to materialism like the cynics always highlight). They love their countries and cultures too. One person (German) told me that by being here, she has an understanding of America that she could not have unless she came here and saw it for herself; she characterized it as if the constant barrage of negativity where she was from had become so distorted and relentless, it was damaging peoples objectivity. And she wasn't referring to just the media but also to institutions, university, etc.

Reply to
K5

See my previous post (sent before I read this). I couldn't agree with you more. Visas for all! (But bring beer). Or I could just go and meet with you folks in Germany. I'm sure I could find you easily since all the Germans will be wearing lederhosen and you'll be wearing some viking helmet or other, right?

Reply to
K5

"Ant" wrote

And with you also. :-)

Ant, I don't think the uproar is so much about the breast itself but rather when and where this was done. It was not on MTV, which is a cable channel. It was on CBS, which is network broadcast television and it was during `prime time' (early evening) during what is (or should be, discounting the commercials ) a family oriented event. If it had been done on a channel such as MTV, or even on late night television, there probably wouldn't have been such an issue made of this. It would not be considered so offensive if it was done on a channel where that sort of thing is to be expected. It is not expected on CBS, so many people were blindsided by it.

No matter how anyone spins it, this is a bare breast:

because the nipple starburst thing is there doesn't mean it's not bare. I'm no prude by any means. Heck, I'm all for seeing as much breast as possible :-) ... but in the proper context. To do what Jackson and Timberlake did, when many children were probably watching, is completely irresponsible. It's one thing to expose an adult to that sort of thing and an entirely different matter to expose a child to it. In my opinion, the entire halftime show was completely out of place for a Super Bowl game.

Call me a hypocrite if you will but I feel that there is a difference between someone choosing to watch that sort of thing and having it forced upon them. I'm sure some will respond to that by saying to change the channel or turn off the TV but that should not be a choice during an event such as a Super Bowl.

Of course ... this is all just my opinion, I could be wrong. But I'm not. ;-)

Reply to
Scott H

I thought the entire half time show was in poor taste. Wrong entertainment for the wrong kind of crowd.

Randy

RSMEINER

....................You Bush haters are going have to find a new mantra by the end of '04. The economy is on an upswing, Bin Laden will be dragged out of his cave and shot this coming spring, there'll be a new Iraqi government later on this summer, Bush will get re-elected without any hanging chad BS in Florida and we'll all be getting tax breaks for driving 6,000 lb. SUV's inorder to the prime the pump of economic prosperity based on Iraqi and Alaskan north slope oil sales to us self-indulgent yankee imperialist bastards. Life is good.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I try not to watch too much of the Tube anyways..................Who cares what they do about the "controls"..................Most peoples' children are damned to watching the reality TV crap, and tons of cable movies, and cartoons with more devastating results..................I didn't even watch the Super Bowl anyway. rented some movies I wanted to see and ate popcorn at home. Avoiding all the aftergame drunks running about.

Ant................Do you *really* care?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

If all that mattered were the economy it would be one thing. But it ain't.

Reply to
jjs

Yaw kahmic wok this rifetime is to rearn to sperr "e-g-r-e-g-i-o-u-s" gwasshoppa. . . Colinfucious

Reply to
Colin

K5 wrote: > I know a lot of people from

Exactly. Sadly, not many people have done this.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson