OT: F###### piece of s### dodge

I lived there for a little while in '72. I don't remember the address, but it was a huge old house on the main street into town from NW Highway (coming in from Arlington Heights.)

Reply to
jjs

I live not too far from there. Things have grown a bit now. One of my co-workers grew up in Palatine, it's now about 65,000 people.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

That really sucks. It is why I just CAN NOT buy a new car. I want a new car. But I will not buy a new one. If you think about it, a new econo car is between 10 to 20 thousand dollars. That is a lot of money, especially when you add in maintenance items like brakes / shocks etc...

For 20k you could build a decent small block (crate motor) Chevy out of any old 60s GM mid size. Just pass on the fancy body work and interior. It will have room for 5-6, a real trunk, decent gas mpg, low insurance, no emissions check, readily available parts, ect...

Oooops, this is a VW group. For 20k you could build 1 or 2 (maybe even 3) nice VWs...

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan and Colleen Wooten

"Bryan and Colleen Wooten" wrote in news:221mb.13800$Fm2.8621@attbi_s04:

I like the way you think.

Reply to
TerryB

Preachin to the choir! ;)

I get a lot of "good natured ribbing" for being underneath my VW on a monthly basis, taking care of this or that maintenence task or whatever.

When it does happen, I casually remind these people about the $800 they spent last month getting new struts and a full brake job done, or the $500 they spent on a busted pump, or any number of random things that break on modern cars.

Since I've started driving my VW again, I've spent an average of $50 a month in various parts (a fraction of which was related to keeping the car running, most of it was cosmetic stuff or gearing up on missing tools). 8 months, $400 dollars.

I don't see at all how anyone can justify owning new cars. They're basically time bombs, and by the time you reach a respectable mileage on the odometer, you will have paid in repairs what the car cost new.

Not really trying to dress up classic VW's as the best choice for transportation, (even though they are!!) they have their own issues. But modern vehicles aren't significantly better, from what I've seen.

Reply to
Seth Graham