Valve setting for 1776 engine?

I'm trying to track down the proper valve setting for this engine. It's a new 1776cc engine in a 71 type II.

Mike "All Thumbs" Elliott

Reply to
Mike Elliott

What type of pushrods?

If aluminum, set lash to .006". If steel, set (cold) lash to "loose zero".

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

.006"

...................You really should buy a shop manual. Haynes is a good source for the basic stuff. If you're not sure of a local source, go to amazon.com. The Bentley would be even better but costs more.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:02:06 GMT, Mike Elliott ran around screaming and yelling:

do yo uhave steel, chromoly steel, stock alluminum, or heavy duty alluminum p-rods? J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I have a receipt from the former owner that says, "1776 longblock w/new case r(something) heads angle (?) 100 (?) w/ alum gear" $950

That's probably not enough to go on, I betcha.

Mike "Now What Does This Part Do?" Elliott

Reply to
Mike Elliott

You betcha.

(fwiw, my valvelash is set at zero (0), but it's a strange engine.)

Reply to
jjs

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:58:17 GMT, Mike Elliott ran around screaming and yelling:

when you go to adjust the valves, put a magnet to the p-rods..if it sticks they are obviously not alluminum...if they are steel or chromoly adjust pretty tight....i use "loose zero" with my chromoly p-rods...meaning I adjust out all the freeplay, but can still spin the p-rods with my fingers...if yours are alluminum then go with teh standard .006....if they are steel maybe start out at .002 just to be safe...im not sure if the steel and chromoly steel have the same expansion rates, so i can't really comment on exacts for regular steel p-rods... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Probably not a "1776 longblock w/new case r(something) heads angle (?)

100 (?) w/ alum gear", I'll wager.

Mike "Feels More Like Stirring Soup Than Shifting" Elliott

Reply to
Mike Elliott

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:04:58 GMT, Mike Elliott ran around screaming and yelling:

nah..John has a "RAT" built 2165cc with all the goodies including "nickies".... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Why the different settings for different materials?

Reply to
Gareth Edwards

Different materials expand differently. A material that expands more when heat is applied requires a bigger setting. With a less expanding material, you can keep the gap tighter.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:56:07 -0400, "Karls Vladimir Peña" ran around screaming and yelling:

yeah...what he said...LOL J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani