OT The Parents

My brother, mom and I had to go to the funeral home on Sunday afternoon to make the arrangements. Luckily my parents had prepaid their funerals several years ago, so they did not have to ask my mom to write any checks.

Here is some VW content. Before going to the funeral home, I had to find the paperwork at my parents house and found them in dads closet. I also found all of the service records for the 1966 VW that he sold in 1975. Repair costs sure were inexpensive then. I also found an old Viewmaster. Remember those. You put the round slide wheel in it and click through the pictures. He had a set of slides from Herbie the Love Bug. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

If interested in reading , here is the link to the online obit in the paper for my dad.

Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

My sympathies Bill to you and your family.

Jon

64 urban baja
Reply to
Jon Eischeid

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comSPAMOUT (Bill Berckman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

Bill, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. This is not an easy time, but your fond memories will help you in the days to come.

I can relate very well as I have lost both parents in the last 7 years and I still miss them greatly. Don't be hard on yourself for the things that cannot be changed now as they are completely out of anyones control now. Hold fast to the good times and the love that you have in your heart. These things are the ties that even time cannot break.

GOD Bless!!

Reply to
TerryB

Thanks Terry:

I am sorry that you lost both of your parents in the last 7 years. Sometimes people are hard on themselves for not spending more time with their parents etc..in the past. My mom had a conversation with me about this yesterday.

I can honestly in good conscience say that I always have done whatever I could for the parents. I moved out of my parents house 15 years ago in 1988 when I was 27 years old. That is kind of old to move out, but they always did they did my laundry and always had a warm meal waiting for me when I got home from work. I paid my dad a token $50 a month rent from the time I graduated from college in 1983 until I moved out. When I moved out, my dad gave me back all of the money that I paid him in rent, to help me get started out in the world, although I only moved less than 10 munutes away. They also gave me silverware, plates and some furniture to get started in my first place.

Mom told me that I should have no regrets about anything, because I talked to my dad on the phone everyday, and visited them once a week. In the last 4-5 years when my dad was no longer able, I cut their grass every week, and shoveled the snow when needed, as well as other errands that were needed. I will still be doing these things from my mom, as she is planning on staying in the house for a while.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

Bill, I lost my Dad 5 years ago. And I still think about him every day. I understand what you are going thru but it sure sounds like you had a great relationship with both of your parents. You shouldn't have any regrets, just lots and lots of good memories.

Email me if I can lend an ear or if you just need to chat.

Randy

RSMEINER

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comSPAMOUT (Bill Berckman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

Bill, you are very lucky to have had such good parents.

Reply to
TerryB