OT Yikes !!

So, there I was just tooling down the interstate this evening. Doing around 75 mph. Traffic was so, so and a guy was passing me. Just as he was almost past me, KAPOW !!! His right front tire blows. Pulls him towards my lane. We didn't hit but I left some amazing skid marks and they weren't on the pavement. I don't think even doing the laundry will get them out, probably have to burn them.

Randy

RSMEINER

I had something like that happen in the spring, but the woman fell asleep in a suv and bounced off another car then a retainer wall I missed her by driving the shoulder of the highway. No skid marks thou ...LOL

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

XD!!

Glad nobody's car was damaged....but how much do you wanna bet that his tire blew becuase he was careless with his car? IE never checking tire pressure, letting the tread wear bald, hitting big potholes at high speed, etc. I've seen so many scary looking tires on cars these days.....damn front wheel drive cars wear out those front tires almost twice as fast as the rear. I see expensive front-drive coupes running around with NO tread up front. What the hell are these people thinking? I've even seen radial belts starting to peel out of tires. Needless to say, I don't drive near those fools.

Of course there isn't any kind of auto inspection required in NM besides emissions if your car isn't over 30. Otherwise, nobody ever inspects your car. I could be driving a bathtub on wheels. As long as it had signal lights and seatbelt, I'd never get pulled over out here.

Reply to
Anthony

Please no pics of that skid mark :o) Glad that you and your VW are ok.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

All we have around here in Nebraska is road construction and potholes. We don't have any type of inspections here. Not even emissions. It was a newer car, so hard telling why the tire blew. Sometimes they just do that. We had just come off a bridge that is real rough and bad.

Randy

RSMEINER

You don't want pictures ? I'm down right proud of those skids.

Wasn't driving a VW this time. Had the wifes Honda Accord. We've only had it a few months and I'm kind of impressed with that V-Tech engine. Hate the rest of the car as I just don't fit right in it.

Randy

RSMEINER

Well....just a weird fluke then. Glad you're ok. BTW, what, exactly, impresses you so much about the Vtec engine in that Honda? Just two different cam profiles. The engine uses pressurized oil to shift the cam sideways exposing the valves to a new set of cams that would run the engine too rough at a slower RPM. Neat idea, but it's never impressed me too much.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

That Vtech has amazing get up and go. We had another Accord a few years ago and it was sluggish. This Vtech just gets up and moves out and gets great gas mileage while it does it.

Randy

RSMEINER

Cool. Never driven one, so I guess I can't knock it till I try it.

~Anthoyn

Reply to
Anthony

My wife's Accord has the vtec and I've gotta say I'm not very impressed by it. It makes a lot of noise, but I could smoke it with my Civic any day of the week. Of course she has the auto tranny so it may be sucking up a lot of the power, but still... Great gas mileage and dependable as can be, and that's what we bought it for.

Reply to
Shaggie

oh my....its worse than we thought guys....shaggie has converted to full time

*RICER*....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Got to be something wrong with that. This is a 98 accord. Had 6000 miles on it when we got it 2 months ago. Got 24,000 on it now. It's very quiet and smooth and it's a 4 speed auto.

I haven't checked the milage real accuratly yet but we are getting

400 miles to the tank. No clue as how big the tank is as I haven't put gas in it. Wifes car. I've driven it 3, maybe 4 times total.

Randy

RSMEINER

I think it's just perception. Ours is a '99 and has around 50,000 on it. It's not *loud*, just very um... "whirry sounding" under the hood, 4-speed auto also. If it had a 5-speed standard in it, then I think it would be quicker than the Civic. For now, though, while it's accomplishing those ultra-smooth-horsepower-wasting shifts, I can slam through the gears on the Civic and be on my way. I don't think there's anything wrong with our Accord, and would be shocked if I couldn't eat your Accord's lunch with my Civic, too... :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

Ha! Not quite. No fart pipe for me. The only "custom" touches on my Civic are tinted windows, Dale Jarrett front license plate, NASCAR sticker on the rear, and class-1 towing hitch. I haven't quite picked up on the "ricer" mentality. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

BULLSHIT>.....you would explode if you didn't have one...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Nah, he could be just like a common hydra and eat and defecate from the same orifice. Shaggie, do you have foul breathe?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

hehehhe....ewwwww

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Yeah. I wish I could loose it... Hey, off-topic question, but when did they quit teaching spelling in school? :-X

Reply to
Shaggie

You know what always happens when you make a comment like that, right? You misspell something yourself.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Yes, and you do it intentionally to sarcastically make a point. Did "I wish I could loose it" really sound appropriate, or maybe a little "forced?" That was almost funny enough to make me loose my breathe laughing about it. :-) I should just losen up my belt and breath easier about the whole thing. *brushes dust off of hands* My work here is done.

Reply to
Shaggie