preheater troubles

basically a stock motor with an EMPI 3417 exhaust. preheater tubes are connected, but does little work keeping the manifold warm. Most likely from the less backpressure pushes little exhaust gases though now.

Is there such a thing as an electric heater blanket I can wrap the manifold in or maybe an electric heated carb base gasket?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

They made a manifold heater.

Dont know if you can still get them though

tricky

Also, make sure the pre heat tubes a clean and not blocked.

some frayed steel wire (a bit of clutch cable ? ) > basically a stock motor with an EMPI 3417 exhaust. preheater tubes are

Reply to
tricky

We had something like that in the frozen north of Minnesota, but it was used in our underwear.

Back to earth - make sure your heat risers are clear. Sometimes it is easier to buy new ones - the two piece models because you need not muck with the alternator or generator interfering - and make sure your muffler has the sucking tube by it. Some Mexican mufflers have it on the wrong side!

Reply to
John J Stafford

Thanks for answering the question. Yeah, that's the blanket thing I remember. It doesn't seem to be well accepted, nor available now (anymore). Most folks seemed to have thought of it as a novelty 'cause it didn't do much. I think I'll fab something with power resistors, JB weld and a pulse-width driver with thermal feedback. I'm good with electronics.

To everyone else, yes, the passage is clear. reread my first post where I say I'm using an aftermarket exhaust.

David Gravereaux

Ubiquitous 555, 3055???? Great project for a while! John

Reply to
John

lol :) I know those numbers. ne555, 2n3055. Or more interestingly, just use output transistor as the load, but delicate care required and some funky adapter plate I have no idea how to fab. flat transistors don't mount to a round pipe easy. I'm stuck pondering that. Shape it in soft plastic as the mother for a mold to cast in aluminum? Or 3d input the mother and have it CNC'd?

Reply to
davygrvy

lol :) I know those numbers. ne555, 2n3055. Or more interestingly, just use output transistor as the load, but delicate care required and some funky adapter plate I have no idea how to fab. flat transistors don't mount to a round pipe easy. I'm stuck pondering that. Shape it in soft plastic as the mother for a mold to cast in aluminum? Or 3d input the mother and have it CNC'd?

Reply to
John

Reply to
John

Yeah, I'm thinking something similar..

davygrvy

Induction heating doesn't work on aluminum does it?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

?v=Q6Zrnv4OtbU yup, works. I won't have to come at all near melting, but proves the point (to me).

Reply to
David Gravereaux

or ... twin carbs would sort it :D

Reply to
tricky

well agreed on that one ;) Yes, runner length is the issue. Not going there soon. But when I do, it'll be a redline K1411, but with manual choke carbs. About $560 from my local vdub guy.

Reply to
davygrvy

Here you go:

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Reviews of the IMDU state it being more novelty than useful, but thanks for finding someone that still carries one from old stock.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

They are very useful here in Minnesnowta to heat, ah, private parts at

-30F when one has to pee. :)

Reply to
John J Stafford

What would be even nicer if instead of its measly output of 10 watts of heat, it made 75 watts and was temperature controlled to shut off above

45 degrees
Reply to
David Gravereaux

Why any heater wire at all? What if I could just bolt a 15 amp (TO-3P) transistor right to the manifold itself and cook the metal directly? Hopefully there's enough material to grind a flat. Using a PNP transistor, collector is at ground potential so no need for any mica insulation.

davygrvy