Nomenclature Help? Boot, bonnet and ?

Is this right? The Boot is the truck or is it the cabriolet's top? The Bonnet is the hood over the engine. But is that true for a rear engined one? A RagTop is the sunroof model. Or as the Americans call ; a convertible. I'm confused.

Reply to
Veteran

Boot(Eng) = Trunk(Us) This describes the storage space not the cover/lid. Bonnet(Eng) = Hood(Us) Describes the front engine or boot/trunk cover.

On a rear engined car the proper term would be 'engine cover'.

Ragtop = Convertible or Cabriolet, not sure which is which there. Sunroof = Sunroof.

The large cloth sunroof Beetle is referred falsely to as a Cabriocoach. A Cabriocoach would have the cloth section going all the way down passed the rear window.

Wing(Eng) = Fender(Us). Tyre(Eng) = Tire(Us). etc. etc.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

You are the Man! That should be in a FAQ.

Reply to
John J Stafford

ENG = we call the engine cover on a beetle, the "Deck Lid"

Reply to
tricky

Eng = Rag top, we call a cut out in the roof, coverred in a sliding cloth cover.

The Cabriolet top, we call a "soft Top "

Reply to
tricky

And where in the world did you ever come up with Lorrie for Truck? :)

"England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

--George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
John J Stafford

Reply to
tricky

I like when a girl says Knock me up in the morning !! Yes ! we did it in a 66 Beatle |||

Jerry

Jerry Ohio-2