MK2 Golf GTi Exhaust troubles

My MK2 16V GTi's exhaust was knocked by one of the speed humps very thoughtfully provided by Norwich city council the other weekend. The centre box was mangled, leaving the back pipe hanging out of it. The pipe pipe was welded back into the centre box, and all was well again. Then yesterday, the pipe at the other (front) end of the centre box broke, and the box in the downpipe tore at the back from the weight of the pipe hanging against it (p'raps).

It's all been welded back up now, but still sags in the middle (downpipe is lower at the back than the front). Have I got shagged engine mounts, causing the entire engine to tilt back or what? My mechanic reckons they're fine, but he reckons a lot of things...

Reply to
Doki

If you've got shagged engine mounts that shagged you can feel the engine moving when you let the clutch up. More likely the weldins a tad out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Or possibly a missing mount in the centre section?

Reply to
Chris Street

Thought about that, but the diagram of the system in Haynes shows no mounts until the back end of the system.

Reply to
Doki

I'm pretty certain there used to be a figure of 8 one on the middle box.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I would look at the engine mounts, we used to run a fleet of diesel Caddy's (mk II running gear) and were replacing engine mounts all the time- you had to else within days the exhaust system was in a million pieces...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

You're correct. There should be a rubber hanger in the middle, around the handbrake assembly.

Reply to
DocDelete

And since when were Haynes accurate? I'll bet there is one somewhere, I've never seen any car that doesn't have one....

(waits for list of corrections of common cars that don't)

Reply to
Chris Street