Projects List #2

You got a muffler on you pneumatic drill? You should have. Really cuts down on the racket.

McMaster-Carr sells mufflers. See page 334 of their on-line catalog.

Now think GASOLINE.

I want to find out how much gasoline I can flow through one of those

80-micron mufflers if the gas has an 11" head.

That's the basic Going In data I need to quantify.

Worse-case, I need about 5.5 gallons per HOUR.

Gallon is 234 fluid ounces (I think. Have to look that up.)

So I'm looking for a pneumatic muffler that can pass 1287 fluid ounces per hour.

That's 21.45 ounces PER MINUTE. Which ain't much. Big beer mug is 16 ounces. Mug and a half is 20.

The Hot Project is to make up a plate to hold the pneumatic muffler, which uses NPT, and plumb it to something that I can use as a gas tank. Something portable, so I can adjust the head-height to 11 inches.

But this is just a step along the way. Once I've found a sintered bronze filter that can pass the required volume of fuel I was planning to design a sediment bowl to go along with it. A Po'Boy Gascolator.

The sediment bowl is actually a water-catcher so you want it to be glass. And it has to have a drain. I've already done some experiments using baby food jars but when some fellow overseas asked 'What's a baby-food jar?' I realized I was making the design to specific.. I needed a sediment bowl that could be duplicated more easily. Which tossed that aspect of the Project into the Head- scratcher Dept.

To me, the fuel system is something you want to make as bullet-proof as possible,so there are a lot of little tests that need to be done, with good records kept showing not only the quantitative test results but with drawings showing the test rig that was used.

-R.S.Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover

If overseas points to Europe, we have here basically two sizes of jars where all baby food is stored. Metal top that has to "pop" when opened or the vacuum created when sealed with hot content has gone and the food is probably gone bad. Two sizes: about 100-125 grams and about 190-220 grams depending on the content.

If a fellow from hereabout does not know what a baby food jar is, it is not because it would not be common knowledge or that the jars would vary here. He just probably does not have children and has kept his eyes shut when going to the local supermarket.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The sediment bowl to me sounds like an air compressor water separator. They make them in various sizes I think, smaller for the hobbyist equipment and bigger for the industrial compressors. My boss needs to invest in one, as my first chore each morning is to drain the pressure tanks of condensed water.... :) Apparently Florida air is pretty darn wet. (Duhh).

Anyhoo, these water separators look pretty much as you describe, and work in a similar fashion, just with air instead of liquid. They are capable of easily handling 150PSI of pressure or more. I don't think it would be dangerous to run gasoline through them at much lower pressure, let alone no pressure at all. Just need to find out if the working principle still applies to gasoline with water in it. Maybe you can use some of the components at least, and modify them.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

beer mug is 16

I think I have one from a farm tractor or is it more like what Jan is discribing, I have this in line set up that you use toilet paper to remove water and oil from compressor.

Reply to
Kafertoys