Pully grinding into alternator and generator front plates... looking for answers & replacement plate

This is weird guys. For some reason, with three different generator/alternator pullies, two different generators, and now the alternator, an indentation near the central shaft spacer would wear into the pully so that the pully would get closer and closer to the face of the alternator (and before that generator) until it starts grinding through the webbing on the front.

I thought it was fine, but I heard a weird noise and now I see that the face of the alternator is nearly ground through.

Two things:

1) Any idea what might be causing this wear to occur so that the pully gets closer to the alternator face? I checked the alignment of the belt, and if anything, it looked like it should be pulling out and away from the front of the alternator, not getting pulled in.

2) Does anybody he a junk Bosch alternator and could send me the face plate? The P/N of my alternator is 9 20 080 122

The webbing is nearly worn through. I don't want it to sit idle in the driveway for too long, my wife already thinks my bug "needs too much attention". Well, I do all the work myself! Thx,

Reply to
KWW

only thing i can offer is help is experience .. i had that happen .. and it happened because the belt was to tight .. and i didn't have the proper number of shims on the upper pulley ...

fixed the alt front tho with some JB weld ... and drove the car for another few years like that.

Reply to
Flea

Thx. The belt tightness is a good idea. A local friend offered to give me the front off of an old Bosch alternator, and somebody also mentioned shimming between the pully halves as an issue... apparently if you don't make it so that the pully sandwiches on the shims (not just the belt),l then a wobble may develop....

I now have to find a new top pully, and I most certainly will make sure I don't overtighten the belt this time, thanks!

Reply to
KWW

Remember that there should be a total of 10 shims, whether they are inside the pulley halves or outside (under the nut). I've had some similar problems too, but they came as a result of a cheap EMPI chrome piece of crap pulley. Once I swapped out the previous owners "cool" pulley with a genuine VW unit, my problems stopped.

Scott Faivre

An INTERNATIONAL VW Community

Reply to
admin.german.pride