Putting a '73 type III rear end into a '63 type I

How likely am I to be successful in this endevor? Can I link a dual-port 1600 into that tranny without the use of Kennedy's fine conversion kits? What do I need to know before ripping apart two vw's?

Reply to
kieran.mclaury

The 1600 bolts right up to the T3 tranny. Read the 6V/12V conversion article on my web site for "Gotchas".

Vic has a great article on replacing swing axle with IRS:

There are links in there to other relevant articles.

Get a manual. Haynes has a good manual for T3 1500/1600. Bentley too.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim