Radio Static

The roof mounted antenna on my 2001 Golf gave out (snapped in the boot area) last week. I purchased a new one at the dealership but I cannot get good AM reception, the quality is very poor. Basically there is a considerable amount of static. FM reception is fine.

When I phoned the dealer they said it is likely that the antenna is no longer grounded. They said that this does happen and that the "snapped" antenna should not have created the problem, it is just a coincidence.

To fix the problem they say they need to remove the headliner, an expensive repair for something that should never have happened.

Hs anyone experienced this problem and is there a recommended fix?

Thanks,

Vern

Reply to
Vern Tarbutt

Quick fix is to buy an aircooled VW and you'll be glad to get AM period. The dealer would in most cases ignore the problem as well (aircooled = ignore) not ever pay a dealership to do this work. If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can do this. Andy

Reply to
Busman