Radio Static

The antenna on my 2001 Golf broke (snapped in the boot area) last week. After installing a new one purchased from the dealer AM reception is very poor. Basically there is a considerable amount of static; FM reception is fine.

I called the dealership and they told me the static problem does occur and was due to poor grounding. They also said the condition was probably not caused by the broken antenna, just a coincidence. If they were to investigate it would involve removing the headliner, an expensive fix for something that should not have occurred.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any suggestions for a repair would be appreciated.

Thanks, Vern

Reply to
Vern Tarbutt

I assume you meant that you replaced the whip.

I had that symptom. Wiggling the base would restore the reception for while.

I then reached under the headliner and gave the big nut about a 1/4 turn to tighten it. I used a long-nose mini ViceGrip. Worked for me.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I can't locate the automatic transmission filler tube on my 2000 Jetta

2.0 GLS. Does it even have one? TIA
Reply to
paul webster

Probably not. VW since the mid 1990s has been making it harder for DIY-ers to do auto trans fluid checks.

Reply to
Matt B.