Re: '66 Beetle dies on deceleration

My 73 standard bug does the same thing. Normally when coming down from higher speeds. It idles really good, accelerates good, doesn't sputter and die, just cuts out. And when i play with the gas on deceleration (sp?) it will normally stay running. I notice the lower octane fuel makes it die moreso. (but premium is $2.20 right now!!!!!) A local mechanic said that it was probably because i needed dual carbs ( i have a 1776cc engine with stock carb) he had mentioned that he had a bug with a 1800cc+ engine, and he couldn't ever keep it idling, till he got dual carbs. I also notice my car seems to run rich. Im going to have the mechanic play with it and see if he can tweak the carb. Otherwise i will be getting duals pretty soon. Your problem might be as simple as a few adjustments on the carb. Maybe someone can offer some wise information for both of us. ~Peace~Justin

Nxqzablesk8er

Sounds like your carb is running too rich. Lean out the mixture, and it should fix your problem...

Reply to
Ryan Smith

Ryan, that seems to have done it! Thanks very much!

Just> Sounds like your carb is running too rich. Lean out the mixture, and it

Reply to
Gary

Hey, please send something. WOuld you also consider maybe talking to me on the phone?? I could call you, hehe. But what about the fact that my engine isn't stock? I have about 6 manuals, just about every VW one. But it always helps to hear it from a fellow VW'ist. Where do you live :-) Lemme know ~Peace~Justin O ya, did you just adjust...then drive around? And then adjust again, sorta guess and check. or were you able to tell just from turning the screws?

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Which model carb do you have on it now? I forgot you were running a

1776. Still, if you're us> Hey, please send something. WOuld you also consider maybe talking to me on the
Reply to
Gary

Its the stock carb. Im not sure which model. WHen i got the car, there was a paper for a solex carb, with a breakdown parts diagram. Its a new carb. Im new to this whole ACVW thing, but i don't mind diving in. Im pretty sure im running rich, when the car idles, the ground will be pretty wet from where the exhaust points. So you did a 1/8th adjustment, then drove it, and it worked? Or when you did the adjustment, the engine idle changed, and you figured that it was fixed? Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er