Body off how to ?

Ok got most of the bolts undone or ground off.

Looking from the inside of the car where the heater chanel meets the floor pan, some places I can see it move, some place have been welded over in a pretty messy patchwork inside and out.

As I have never seen a body off before, I am a bit confused as to which parts stay with the floor pan/chassis and which parts I need to grind off the welds so they will stay with the body.

I will probly end up replacing the heater chanels any way, but as part of the learning process I want to seperate the body without just chopping through !

Yes I have ordered the bugme video's and yes I will be ordering the panels but till they arrive I am stuck waiting impatiently !!

I have seen and read sites in the past, but now I want one I cant remeber where they are !!!! argghhhh

Any links ? please !!!

oh yeah -- found one , no pictures , and it said half a days work !

Cheers Rich

Reply to
tricky

My friend's site:

I have helped him with the metal work and I built the engine. (Which to my knowledge hasn't run yet)

We lifted the body off together.

Hope these pics help a little.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks Jan

That helped for the floor pan. I have lots of UN-welding to do !!!

Very nice job, by the way ! when will the end of the project be posted ?

Any idea of the front mounting bolts for the 1303 ?

Rich

Jan Anderss> tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

:)

I dunno, they just had their SECOND baby a month or two ago. Apparently he's been busy with other things ;)

I did go help him put the engine in, we didn't finish the wiring yet and I think the dual carbs are off at the moment. I did break in teh cam when I built the engine and ran the engine a little. So basically it's ready to run, save for some fine tuning and new exhaust. I gave him a temporary exhaust to play with, until we find time for me to come over and build him the final one, tailor made to fit the car and stay hidden out of sight.

He is very dedicated and shows great attention to detail. It will be a sweeeeetttt bug.

He just needs to pick up speed a little :) But with a nother newborn in the family I can understand how he might have difficulties finding the time.

I don't think there's much difference. Two on each side under the car, very close to each other, and maybe one inside the car, on top of the tunnel.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Might take half a day to think about the work! 8>0.

Click on

search for heater channelrepair.

Reply to
Bob Johnson

got his site mirrored on my harddrive :-) Great site !

I search it earlyer for body off etc - no luck on details.

Will try heater chanels in a bit

Cheers Rich

Bob Johns> Might take half a day to think about the work! 8>0.

Reply to
tricky

Yeah, baby's tend to take priority, then you have to wait for them to grow up !

My car isnt good enough to give it that much restoration. I will just do the main parts and use it or sell it and look for a better one.

I have got plenty of grinding to do that will last me a few days, hopefuly the bugme vid's will be here by then.

Thanks again

Rich

Jan Anderss> tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

I can't figure how even the expert restorers keep the insides of new heater channels from continuing to rust as there's no way to get primer and paint in there to cover the welds.

Factory cars were dipped in vats of both.

BJ

Reply to
Bob Johnson

someone posted this for me on another forum. Thought I would post it here too. Hope it helps someone.

Rich

tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

They drill holes through which they feed flexible straws in, and spray rust preventive wax through it. There's a nozzle at teh end of teh straw that creates a sideways pattern for the spray.

Oh yea, who am I kidding. I'm not a pro. Bet 80% of them don't bother ;)

Jan

Bob Johns>

Reply to
Jan Andersson