Engine Dies After Starting

I have a 1994 Ford F-150 with a 302 cu.i. engine, automatic transmission and dual gas tanks. This problem happens every 4 or 5 months and never more than once at that time.

I will be driving my truck and then stop somewhere for a short amount of time and when I go back to my truck and start the engine it will die immediately. It will continue to run as long as I keep my foot on the gas pedal but the moment I remove my foot from the gas pedal the engine will again die immediately. I normally will wait about fifteen or twenty minutes and then try again and the engine will start right up with no problem and will behave normally.

I have tried to explain this situation to my mechanic and he has no idea what I am talking about. I have had him check everything out and he can find no problem. It has been suggested to me by friends that the problem could either be with the alternator, battery, or vapor lock....

If anyone has ever had or heard of this problem I would appreciate your help. This problem happens so infrequently it is hard for me to diagnose.

Thanks,

Reply to
Ted

i am not sure what your truck has, but either the idle air controller, or idle position sensor is going bad. the idle air controller will gum up, causing the idle pin to stick in, causing the motor to die.when you hold your foot on the throttle, you bypass it, keeping the motor running. not to sure on how the ips works, but it is about the same

Reply to
Falcoon

x-no-archive-yes Had a similar situation but in a car awhile back. Turned out the distributor shaft (?) not the cap but the shaft the distributor was on, was "slipping". New shaft put in and no further problems.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Do not reply to the e-mail address above - too much SPAM! Post replies to the group!

Reply to
Mike Erb

Uh huh? Yeah, right.

"slipping".