Re: Check Engine Light

I have a 2001 Golf GLS, the check engine light just came on (37796 miles).

> Does anyone know what it could be?

It indicates the end of the anticipated life of the car. Time to trade up to an AIRCOOLED VW.

Reply to
J Stafford

Usually when the "Check engine" light comes on, it's a problem with the O2 sensor.

Although on my '85 Jetta, the light came on at about 35,000 miles. It was a pre-determined mileage thing that was supposed to indicate time for the O2 sensor change.

I just re-set the light (button behind the coolant overflow tank) and went on my merry way.

The '01 Golf is probably a little more sophisticated than the '85, so that method more than likely doesn't apply.

Try asking over at the water-cooled group.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Your vehicle is equipped with a Motronic Engine Management system. The system monitors about 500 different systems operations/functions, and it controls the operating parameters of your vehicle, as well as acting as a hub for the various sub systems. The "Check Engine" Light actually is referred to as a Malfunction Indicator Light. It signifies an issue with one of the vehicle systems. It can be as simple as a loose gas cap, or as severe as a plugged catalytic converter (light would be blinking). I have seen cases where a sporadic failure in the ignition, O2 sensor, and Mass Air Flow systems have caused a warning light to be triggered. However, there are so many possibilities for why the light came on that you are further ahead to go to your local VW dealer and have the VAG 1551 or VAS 5052 connected to find what is causing the problem.

Hope this helps,

Reply to
Peter Cressman

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (C ~) wrote in news:14520-3F06204C-104@storefull-

2351.public.lawson.webtv.net:

Just curious...what does one of those "scanners" cost for the home mechanic?

Reply to
cloud8

You can get basic ones that simply blink the check engine light and you count the number of blinks to find the code...these run about $40.00. Or, go to

and purchase a VAG COM. The Vag Com should work with all OBD-II vehicles.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman