Re: Disc Brakes?

Sure. Now most folks only go with front disc's and put type 3 or thing drums in the back. This does well for most applications as normal driving does not require more. It also cuts down on the expense.

I have a 356 Speedster kit. I want 4 wheel disc so the brakes will be up to anything I put in for an engine plus I plan to drive the car like a sportscar. Front only discs (as well as drums for that matter) tend to lock up and bulldoze on the typical VW under hard cornering/braking conditions. The 356 tens to be lighter in the front-end, like most bugs, worsening the front-end lockup problem. So, more braking in the rear means more stopping power. Of course the biggest reason to go to disc is brake fade. Brake fade could be defined this way: The more you use them, the hotter they get. the hotter they get the less the work. Disc do not have this problem. As a freebie, they are self adjusting.

For wide fives there are two types available: 1) Aluminum spindle with iron hub and disc.

and 2) All Iron one piece setups
or see so calsad in Hot VW's)

1) is supposed to be better due to less weight and better parts replacement. but at $630 compared to $500 for the all Iron, I am not sure they are worth it. Anyone using either set?

Can you elaborate on this.

> > I eventually want to goto disc brakes (I have no intention of ever getting > rid of my thing so I want to upgrade the brakes eventually) but I want to > retain my current wheels (five bolt with the moon caps) > > Is this possible ? > > if so, details ? > > Chris Taylor >
> > > Getting ready to put 4 wheel disc on my ride. I want to stay with the > wide > > five pattern. Anyone used the all iron kits yet? > > > > > >
Reply to
Ben Gulley

Includes: 2 Rotors, 2 Calipers, 2 Caliper Brackets, Pads, Dual-Circuit Master Cylinder, Wheel Bearings, Brake Hoses and Seals & Caliper Mounting Hardware

Ball Joint Wide-5 Brake Kit*$499.95

  • Also fits Things but must use 115" wheels!

This sounds like its it. Is it Bolt on. IE is it something I could do with hand tool ? also will my current stock wheels fit ? what does the must use

115" wheels mean.

Also are the rotors and pads and calipers a stock part at auto stores so I can get replacements when they wear out ?

I eventually will go disc in the back as well simply cause I HATE changing drums. a royal pain in the rear.

Thanks Chris Taylor

disc.

18-4194&Category_Code=12-01-06-01) and 2) All Iron one piece setups>
or see so cals> ad in Hot VW's)

replacement.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Part of the problem with any disc kit is they use an Opel pad which is not common here. Once the VW shops stop carrying them then ??? Another problem with the $500 kit is that if you warp a rotor you have to buy the whole hub, where do you buy one? I did not see replacements being offered by either company.

It is a bolt on, not too bad to do so I understand. I guess some things came with 14 inch wheels. 15 inch wheels are required to clear the calipers. Also not listed in the ad is check valves. If you do not use them then you have to pump the brakes to achieve maximum pedal (your brake pedal will go nearly to the floor)