Rear disc brakes for 2002 xterra

Are there any aftermarket rear disc packages fro the 2002 xterra?

Reply to
Scottie71

I was thinking more about ease of changing. Discs are so much easier.

Thanks

Scott

Reply to
Scottie71

Why did Nissan change to a 4 wheel disc system for the 2005 model?

Reply to
Scottie71

Why did Nissan change to a 4 wheel disc system for the 2005 model?

Reply to
Scottie71

Because disk brakes are more efficient than drum brakes on any vehicle. They grip the rotor from both sides, unlike drums brakes which push against the drum from only one side. They don't need adjustments due to pad wear, are also less likely to fade under heavy use, and there are less moving parts to fail.

Reply to
willshak

True, but GM just went back to rear drums on their new pickups. Clearly, due to some bean counter determining that they could save $0.50 per vehicle.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Why? The rear brakes do maybe 10% of the braking and drums are more than up to this task. Maybe on a road race car this could be an issue, I can't imagine road racing an Xterra! I'm sure it could be done but seems like a huge waste of money, better fronts will make much more of a difference.

Reply to
Steve T

I sold my '95 Hardbody w/ 118k and original rear shoes and one set of front pads at 80k. Rotors never warped and I used the crap out of them practicing my heel-toe shifting.

Reply to
Rob Munach

BS. They changed to disks on the rear for marketing reasons. I can promise you this made ZERO difference in stopping distances.

The only other reason is it's easier to design antilock brakes for disk cars.

Reply to
Steve T

How often are you going to have to change the shoes, maybe twice in the trucks life?

Reply to
Steve T