Re: Loose Gear Shifter??

It is a '73 Bug. I just checked the Bently Book and it does indeed describe

>a rod bushing problem. Is that one an easy one to replace? > >Bob

Piece of cake. I have done three so far. The trick is to install the bushing with the clip into the bracket then grease the living heck out of the assembly as well as the shift rod. As you begin to push the rod into the bushing twist it and apply just enough pressure to pop it through. Once it is through its all cake from there.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Thanks all for the bushing advise. The web sites were very informative. I've got the bushing ordered and will do the job soon.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Ullet

Bob Ullet wrote in news:HRKac.1071$OU3.358 @bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Personally, I like the quick shift kit that I installed along with the bushing and coupler. I went from over a 12 inch shift pattern down to just a 3-6 inch shift pattern. Very nice!!!

Reply to
TerryB

I agree, the quickshifts are a big improvement over the pudding stirrer, makes driving easier. My bug desperately needs new bushings and a quickshift will be on the parts list to!

--Steve

Reply to
tunafish