Re: OT Pie unsafe at any speed

....................Most of those would be carrots don't like their freedom to become a carrot interfered with or regulated by the rest of us. Their freedom is absolute and because we're too humane to neglect them when carrotude actually happens, they get cared for in perpetuity after an 'unforseen' accident. I don't feel like telling would be carrots how to live and I also think that we should take care of them when carrotude strikes them down. Not very fair but what's the alternative? Being a carrot is a harsh penalty by itself, so taking care of them doesn't really make everything OK again for them. Ignoring a carrot inorder to save ourselves the expense doesn't make much sense unless we just want to be petty about how we spend our money. You can't take it with you.

..............If this sounds confusing, I'd be the first to admit that I feel ambivalent about this question.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

John, I don't want to start another flame war over this subject and I don't think your comment was directed specifically toward me but I just had to reply. I have been following this group since about 97 but rarely ever post but I feel as though I know everyone here.

My situation is a little different because my being on life support isn't a result of a decision I made. I was diagnosed with ALS aka Lou Gehrig's disease back in 86 and was given 6mo-3yr to live. I said from the beginning I would never have a ventilator to keep me alive but all that changed on March 9/93 when I went to the ER around midnite. The dr said if I didn't get trached and a vent I would die in a couple hours. Well the first thing I thought of was my

4&5 year old children at home that I didn't even get to say goodbye to. The kids are 14&16 now and we have shared some really good times over the years. We tent camp (with batteries to power my vent), go fishing, ice skating, snow skiing, water skiing and go to the beach almost every summer. Of course I don't actively participate in all those things but I'm right there to share the experience with my family.

I do understand that I can't say I worked all my life and paid taxes so I deserve everything I'm getting in disability benefits and from Medicare because I only worked for nine years, coal mining, immediately after graduating High School. But as long as our government is spending trillions of dollars in foreign aid all over the world, this carrot isn't ready to have the plug pulled and left to die!

Fifteen billion dollars is being sent to Africa for aids research while I think there's been like ten million spent on ALS in the history of the disease. ALS has no known cause nor any effective treatment.

(end of rant) Dave in WV (one busy carrot) PS. We don't qualify for any nursing care. So we are savin tax dollars as my wife is my only caregiver except for the couple days each week that she works as a dental assistant. Those days I babysit my 65yo mother. LoL

==========

Reply to
Race Willy

On 16 Aug 2003 19:31:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Race Willy) scribbled this interesting note:

Yours is an entirely different situation and is none of your responsibility since, so far as anyone knows, your's is an inherited disease. In my opinion anyone in a situation like yours should be given assistance to the degree desired to have as good of a quality of life as possible.

I don't want to be thought of as mean or not considerate. I am not mean and I do try to be considerate. That being said, I also would like for people everywhere (including Africa and all the AIDS dollars going there) to be accountable for their actions and to take responsibility for the consequences of those actions. After all, part of being considerate of others includes taking responsibility for your actions and the way they can impact others.

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Ebay Say your lawn darts ( JARTS) are woth about a hundered bucks too, last time i looked at 'em.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

John, Actually, only 3-5% of ALS cases are inherited. The rest are known as sporatic ALS which has no known cause.

Thanks Dave in WV

============

Reply to
Race Willy

An excellent comment, John.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

My criticism was not in the requirement for airbags, but instead in the requirement to make them deploy faster than they should. This has FINALLY been relaxed back to what it should have been in the first place. The Govt. thinking on the "faster" deployment had been that the fraction of a second extra inflation would provide some help to the sap who doesn't use seatbelts.

(Gee, guess that's why I drive an early bug with the "guiotine" steering wheel... I just pray that I don't get in a head-on collision... or a side collision... or a rear collision (ejection seats...)

Reply to
KWW

John, I beg to differ on one point... at least from the standpoint of some in the Federal Govt, the $$ is not yours and mine that they are giving away, but rather, it is all theirs! We are just being given a little less of it than some others. "...the tax man... and you're working for no one but me..." (granted, that was the UK, but the same applies to some of our Washington comrads).

Reply to
KWW

Gee, just sharpen the points a bit and HAVE a rip roarin good time! About as good as the "Roman Candle Wars" some guys had at a 4th of July part we had at one of their houses this 4th. I took my daughter and went inside. The smoke was SO thick you couldn't breath AND they were shooting at each other. You KNOW it had to hurt when a glowing ball splats against some guy's neck and it is one of those EXTRA RANGE, SUPER GLOW kinds of Roman candles... (Candidate for Natural Selection!!!)

Reply to
KWW

Damn Kirk, I hate to be down on you so bad tonight, but you need to dress *yourself* man................don't give the Government so much control of your wardrobe ..................well, at least not so willingly.

Yeah, I think I actually see where you're coming from. I hope that's been said in jest. Those Bastards( and I mean that in the nicest way ) WISH all of us thought like your statement. I don't think any of them are likely to give a damn about anyone but themsleves given their current status and public actions..................ALL THEY WANT IS POWER. be it republican, Democrat, Green , or Independent. A bunch of power brokers that are struggling to whoop the others proverbial behinds. and I don't think we should allow them that kind of control with "our" money one bit................even though the votes counted sway that way too often.

Sorry again Kirk,............I actually don't hate you dude.............LOL.......Actually Like you as a parson for sure.

I'm just afraid we shouldn't talk like that around the children..............they might believe it.( and sadly they don't have a clue who they are) Take control and be counted and responsible folks.

Yeah, I'm runing for office,..................."THE Office"...................you know the one,...............with the porcelain throne..............yeah............that one...............LOL

damn the Habeneros!

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:58:42 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Kirk is a Parson??? Damn....er....I mean golly gee whillikers!:~)

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

I was actually speaking in jest w.r.t. us "working for the Govt".

Reply to
KWW