Re: POLL: Who HATES car repair

~ With all this talk from an earlier thread this week about how evil certain ~ repair shops are. I was wondering who absolutely despises working on their ~ car? I am one of the few, the proud, the mechanically inept. I can admit ~ that I just spent an hour today trying to get a door handle on my Beetle. I ~ for the life of me could not get the handle to line up with the screw hole. ~ Tomorrow a friend is going to help me install a dome light, I am already ~ psyching myself for the torture that will bring! ~ :-)

Erm, me hehe. I'd love to be one of those people who gets home from work and nips outside to take the engine out before dinnertime but in reality, I find mechanics so hard and I'm so scared of breaking something that I get really frustrated and pissed off whenever I try working on my Bug.

I'm thinking when I'm rich enough to buy another Bug, I can play with one while having another to drive so I don't get so scared of things going wrong.

Reply to
Clare

Ditto on the above for myself but I'm trying to break my fear and jump in.

As the bug I have is my wife's, I try to schedule time for upkeep and upgrades within her parked time at home. Seems to working out so far as I haven't messed it up too bad that she won't run (car, not the wife).

DONE: - Weber K1410 progressive kit. - MSD ignition and bosch 009. - headers and dual quiet pack. - 5 new gauges oil temp, pres, O2, CHT, tach - engine compartment/harness rewiring.

TODO: - re-jetting/tuning !!! - interior carpets/upolstery/headliner - paint.

I try to do what I can and not disable the car for long periods by doing as much prep work as I can, like for the carb. I installed the electric fuel pump and removed and capped the mechanical first for a one evening project. Replacing the manifold and carb at the same time would have been too much for a saturday.

Count on Murphy's law.. You always discover you need an odd washer or screw only just after the NAPA closes.

Precede slow, careful and plan well ;)

Reply to
David Gravereaux

BAH! Yeah, I've gotten away from doing my own work in the past 5 to 10 years as much as I used to, but until about 1996 (or 7?) I owned and drove nothing BUT aircooled VW's since I bought my first 1969 Type 1 in

1977, from my high school friend's parents! And when you own/drive nothing BUT aircooled VW's, you are GONNA do some auto repair, and believe me, I have! Just about everything except rebuiding a tranny, and I kinda suck at bodywork, but...

Fear? Nahhhh! What's the worst that can happen? ;-) But then, I've been building junk and playing with tools since I was a little kid too! My daddy had a workbench in the basement, and I used to take all my toys apart, to see if I could build 'em bigger/better/faster/more! (I had a LOT of disassembled toys as a kid too! Most toys are not designed to be taken apart! :-) )

There's a sign on the back of busses in STL for a tech school that says "When I was a kid, I played with a) tools, or b) toys", and I say, "I used tools ON my toys!"

:-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

I used tools on my PARENTS toys.

I was in trouble quite a lot, it took me about 12 years to learn how to be subtle about it so they couldn't find the remains.

Reply to
Seth Graham

I must say I have spent some sunny saturday mornings greasing my hands with whatever stuff I had to do with my bug, and in those moments I hate the very moment I decided to buy it, hopefully in the future (maybe winter?) it will bring me some joys.

Other days I just get an huge kick when I'm able to locate and fix a problem properly, and usually that's the default approach, garages are the last option, and I am quite mecahnically impaired!

Regarding the garages I've learn not to trust them completely, I'm never sure they will be able to fix the problem, and experience showed me right. Besides I hate to give those amounts of money for things I could do easily, if know what to do (here is the problem!).

Finally, I love the VW ingeneers who design this wonderful car, the one guy I hate is the m.....f...er previous owner!!

Ant

Ben Boyle wrote:

Reply to
Ant

~ Ant wrote: ~ > in those moments I hate the ~ >very moment I decided to buy it, hopefully in the future (maybe winter?) it ~ >will bring me some joys. ~ ~ Winter brings not joys, but sorrows. ~ Await the rebirth of springtime.

How depressing. I love winter, can't wait for the rain and cold :o)

Reply to
Clare

Rain? Oh, how I wish my winters were just rain.....but then....this year that is what the summer seems to be.....

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

I like winter too - I was just referring to what happens to cars in winter. They do not work better

- sometimes worse.

Reply to
Oldbie