Re: Shift Switcheroo

On 17 Sep 2003 16:40:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Vaughn M Hannon) ran around screaming and yelling:

The problem? The new shift rod coupling I had installed a couple of >weeks earlier. The screw that goes through the rod and holds it in >place fell out. That's right, it just fell out. > >Has anyone experienced this kind of ridiculous problem before? >

you betcha...put some loctite on the threads, and if the square head isn't already drilled for a safety wire, then clamp it in a vice and drill a 1/16 inch hole through the head for a safety wire....the wire will keep it from twisting out... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Not that particular problem, but the bolts holding my right (front is front) CV joint on my 1970 bus keep working their way loose. When I first got the bus and wondered what the noise was back there I found two bolts holding it on to the wheel! Then last Friday, with no noise to warn me, the damn thing came completely off at 2:30 AM in the rain. Easy to fix, but couldn't they have used reverse-threaded bolts on that side???

Mike Rippe

1970 Type II "George"
Reply to
ThreeMile

Did you have the safety wire wrapped throught the screw and around the shaft? It shouldn't fall out if that is installed.

Reply to
ccr