Re: starter problems....help please :)

This is a common problem. Usually it's because the power line to the starter from the ignition has gained resistance due to aging. Not enough power is delivered to the starter.

Purists may not like it, but your best bet for a quick fix is to get a "hard start relay" installed. This relay lets the power take a shortened path to the starter. I know that

has them in an easy to install kit. Probably others do as well.

DON'T GIVE UP ON THAT BUG!

Hello everyone I recently got a 1965 beetle. I am new to VWs and am trying > to figure this thing out. After replacing the entire ignition system. Wires, > switch and all I still cannot get this thign to start. When I turn the key > I can hear the solenoid click everytime but only 1 out of 50 does the > starter try to turn. This is the 4th starter I have tried. It works fine > when you pull it out of the car and try it so I am assuming it is something > I am doing when I install it.... I haven't replaced the little brass bushing > because I can't get the old one out....will that cause this? The starter > bolts in fine ( all the bolts are in all the way and all ) or so it seems... > Could it be an issue of needing to shim the starter? If so how do I know how > big of a shim to use? Please help me out if you have any ideas before I roll > my vw off a cliff :) > John > >
Reply to
ccr

As ccr mentioned, a "hard start" relay may cure it. If your car is still 6V, be sure to get a 6V relay.

You can test by jumping at the starter as shown here:

sure shift is in Neutral and wear glasses!) If it cranks every time this way, a relay will help.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:28:15 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

ugggg.... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Have you tried another battery? Just because you read 6.whatever volts doesn't mean it can deliver the current necessary to turn the engine over.

Reply to
Jeckler