Re: Transmission Question

> Actually a general transmission question. I park my daily driver 5 > speed Escort Wagon in the driveway, because the 67 is occupying the > garage space. The driveway is a small grade. I was having trouble > with my emergency brake because it has had to be adjusted several > times and needs it again. The question applies to any standard > shift car. Does it do damage to the transmission to have it sitting > in the driveway on a hill without using the emergency brake. I > remember my old 74 would roll back on even a small hill without the > emergency brake on, but my current 67 will hold and not roll back > even on a steep grade.

I don't see that harming the transmission in any way. That is what people at least here in Finland do. We quite never leave the car parked without some gear in and leave mostly them parked without the e-brake. I would recommend using the e-brake though, if the angle is steep. Just to be sure. A steep hill can turn the engine if the car is disturbed some reason. During the winter (most our cars are FWD) you have four wheels "parking" the car with both gear and e-brake on. Four is better than two, if you have icy surface with new snow on it.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I don't see any harm in it either. However, keep in mind that what's keeping your car from rolling is the compression in your cylinder(s). To see what the difference would be like, put your car on the same grade, remove all the spark plugs (ie, remove the compression), and see how well it stays put. Probably not so good.

The e-brake isn't really an e-brake. I usually call it a *parking* brake.

-Rob

Olli Lammi wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

Here it is called "seisontajarru" (standing brake) or "käsijarru" (hand brake).

Reply to
Olli Lammi

If your VW rolled when parked in first gear on a mild incline, then its compression must have been very bad. :) No problem in parking like that with a good one like your '67. I use the E-Brake as rarely as possible and never in the the driveway, which is inclined. If it makes you feel better, put a 4x4" block behind a rear wheel. Enjoy!

Reply to
John Stafford