Rear tires for sandoffroadstreet on sandrail?

I just finished refurbishing a 1970's two seat sandrail with DP 1641 and stock bug tranny. I am currently running a 31x11.5x15 tire in the rear which makes 2nd and 3rd geas a little fast. Just got back from the tire store and found a 29x11.5x15 Mickey Thompson. Would this be worth spending $360 for a pair? I know that I should regear the tranny but I dont have that kind of finances. I will be terrorizing the streets of western Montana with this thing so a strictly off road tire won't do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Snowrail