rebuild vs. long block

I have an old 1500 in a 71 bug that's been sitting in my garage for way too long. It ran fairly well a couple years ago when I last turned it over. I'm considering breaking it open and picking up a rebuild kit to freshen everything up, but I have a couple concerns. With my luck, chances are that something has worn beyond tolerances of a rebuild kit, and something on the case might need machining, which isn't available in Juneau. The other issue is that this engine is a single port and I'd like to maybe get a little more juice into this car, which means new heads. If switching to DP heads is the only way to get a little more scoot out of this car, I'm probably better off just buying a long block and starting from there.

Opinoins?

Ken

71 Bug (Barron Von Finetush)
Reply to
JuneauBug

Here's the deal.. First, heads cost alot. Cheap ones suck. I would buy cheap ones, and the engine that I built sucked.. Second, do you know how to do the proper CC, and cylinder head shims?? To set proper ratio?? I didn't.. that is why my engine sucked. In all reality one cylinder may have been 8to1 compression, the other.. different, etc.. It didn't idle worth a crap.

So here is my proctnosis..

If you are going to build a good engine, with good parts, and expect it to last.. then do alot of research!! So you don't waist money.

If you are going to get junky cheap parts, some used cheap parts, then go ahead and have some cheap fun!!

If you want a good engine.. research the seller.. ask compression ratios, etc.. and buy a longblock. Serrano sells rebuilt longblocks, like the 1914cc for just $695. + core + shipping.. Now think about it.. how much is your rebuild kit? New bearings, P&C's, heads.. etc.. ?? Compare that to a Longblock.

Don't think the longblock is a sure fire way to an easy engine.. You still will have to assemble the rest. Set valves, set carburetor.. all inwich if you do wrong, may eventually burn a valve, etc.. I had fun, but a fairly bad experience rebuilding an engine before. It cost me a whole lot of money, and never idled right. I had to sell the entire vehicle for much less than the parts.

Here is my theory.. unless I can build it, having alot of fun, for less than $1000.. Then, I'll live with the imperfections. or I will be buying a near new turnkey 1914cc for just $2800. Then selling my current stock turnkey for around $800 instead. My engine currently runs great though, I just want something bigger.

JuneauBug wrote:

Reply to
payments338

JMHO your current engine should run even after sitting for 8-10 years. mine has & will! use the current engine, get that Bug moving and find an engine that you really want.

some are using Type 2/4 or Porsche 914 engines in their Bugs and enjoying them. I am thinking about doing that with my '70 T1 one year. lol

just curious but have you seen any late model fuel-injected Beetle Convertibles up your way? I should know of one there and was wondering how it was doing.

Reply to
One out of many Daves

There used to be a white mid-70's I think, but it wasn't FI. I think there's also a red convertible here in Juneau, but I haven't seen it in forever. It's been raining to beat the band here. 24 days straight on this stretch, and we only had about 6 days in July that didn't rain.

Ken

71 Bug (Barron Von Finetush)

Reply to
JuneauBug

thanks! I have forgotten what color it was since it has been a couple of years since I have seen it. It was purchased in St Louis and made a stop over in Chicago before making it to it's new home in Alaska.

BTW you can send some rain over to Chicago, IL. ;-)

let us know what you decide on with the engine. I have taken a single port engine and changed the cyl head studs and heads and also the oil cooler to make it a dual port. I forgot what else I had to do to it. ;-)

Reply to
One out of many Daves