Recommend a timing light?

Well, my thirty year-old timing light is suspect so I want a new one. Any suggestions?

Reply to
jjs

Dunno specific brands, but make sure to get one that is adjustable.

Reply to
Exille

And an inductive one is nice to hook up. ;-) like this example on Ebay

dave

Yes: get one!

:)

I have grown to like my cheap battery operated one, it has two "DD" flashlight batteries inside. The only wire coming out of it is the inductive clamp wire. Love the simplicity, PLUS it works just as well on

6V vehicles.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What needs to be adjusted on a light?

Reply to
jjs

Ah, good idea there. Mine has to be hooked up to a battery and it's generally a bad idea to use the car battery so I've always had to lug out a spare.

Reply to
jjs

I use an el-cheapo "Sun-pro, that has the knob on back to roll back the timing.It works great to check total advance.To use it on 6 volt cars, I simply attach the power leads to a 12 volt source,usually my lawn mower.

Freddy

jjs wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

The advance ;) You set an advance value to the light and it will flash that much degrees later than spart so that you can always=20 just set the TDC mark to the crank case seam. No need for degree pulley or measuring marks with ruler on the pulley.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

..............Here's what I use and it's always in my bug's glove compartment where I can find it along with a 10mm wrench for the distributor clamp.

Tim Rogers

That's the ticket! Batteries as Jan suggested, and compact. Thanks to all for your suggestions!

I'll pass on the adjustable thingies. Never used such a thing, so I probably don't need it now.

Reply to
jjs

Good call. In order to use the adjustable, you would still need to establish a reference anyhow.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Ah, time it statically. Muir must be rollin' in his grave right about now. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

Static time a pointless ignition?

Reply to
jjs

My bad. I didn't realize we were talking about over-engineering the stone age again. :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:45:21 -0500, Shaggie scribbled this interesting note:

Everyone needs to have a hobby!:~)

John Willis

I agree. If anyone ever masters the hobby of convincing their wife that the $ they dump into their hobby is justifiable then please let me know so I can talk to you.

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

I have pink-slip drag coming up. My '58 Bug against a brand spanky new VW 'Beetle'. Whatcha think? Baja it?

Reply to
jjs

Well, that would be me. My hobby keeps me happy. My lady likes me happy. And the puzzle is what? Again?

Oh. The kids are grown up and gone. Come to think of it, they are your age. There ya go, Shag. It all comes with age. Damn reality, anyhow.

Reply to
jjs

Thats exactly what Sonia told me 2 hours ago when I told her I was going tomorrow afternoon to a Bug meet...

Or was it something like: 'You go be happy while I rot here'... can't really remember :)

Kids gone... I am 7 months away from having the first! :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Yes.

Reply to