Recommend a timing light?

Nobody just hooks the positive power lead to the positive stud on the generator and the negative to some part of the block (usually the rearmost carb stud for me)?

Reply to
Malcolm

How?

Reply to
jjs

I dunno. I've just been following the directions that came with the thing

- thirty years ago.

Reply to
jjs

Same as with points.

Put the crank at TDC for #1. Hook up a continuity tester and slowly turn the distributor backwards (CCW) until the tester indicates an open ciruit.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:28:10 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@xyzzy.stafford.net (jjs) ran around screaming and yelling:

it is done the same as with a points ignition....that is how you get it "in the ballpark" for initial startup....just as accurate as any static timed ignition...(not saying ideal, but can be done) JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:07:32 -0700, Max Welton ran around screaming and yelling:

i should have read ahead...sorry... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The adjustable ones have the same degree scale as you would see on an aftermarket aluminum pulley. This is where it comes in handy:

You have your stock pulley, which onlyt has one or two (sometimes three) timing marks. You *think* you have for example TDC, and 7.5 degrees advance markings. All you would now need is the TDC mark. Turn the adjuster knob to read zero, and point the gun at the wheel. You will now be able to use the gun as if it were a "normal" gun with no adjustment. If your timing was set to the second pulley mark, 7.5BTDC (as it should on a stock engine) you should see the 7.5 mark lined up with the case seam. This is what a simple gun would do.

Now turn the distributor so your timing will be precisely at TDC, zero degrees. Keep shooting the light, while it's still adjusted to zero. Now you have found the "zero" baseline. Remember how you used to only have ONE (or with some puoleys, two) certain spot for advance that you KNEW? Now you have the timing gun adjustment to offer you a full scale of adjustment. While you have the timing adjusted to zero, and the gun as well, and teh engine is idling... turn teh timing gun knob to 7.5 for example. The pulley TDC mark (That's the only pulley marking you will be interested in from now on) is no longer lined up with the case seam, it has shifted place because the timing gun flash no longer flashes in sync with the spark! You time your GUN to 7.5 degrees, and then line up the TDC mark again with the case seam by rotating the distributor. Want 10 degrees of advance? Just turn the knob on the gun to "10" and line up the TDC mark with the case seam again. And so forth. Pretty accurate, and pulley can be anything you like, as long as it has ONE mark, for TDC. This is the only marking you can verify to be scribed correctly at home. Many aftermarket pulleys have the degree scale glued or painted or etched slightly "off". The gun scale doesn't lie.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Well whaddaya know! That's my gun! The one I bought for "emergency use" on longer trips, which then became my #1 gun in the shop! :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I *am* a kid.... ;) And I'm married to Kidd

haha

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I'd be interested to hear how that race comes out. Do you know exactly what mods he has on his VW? I've never raced anyone for anything other than fun, but I also get no enjoyment at all out of any kind of gambling that involves $. I'd pay $ to get out of having to go to Las Vegas. Be careful. *wags finger* :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

It's a 'she' and the NB is stone stock. Her boyfriend encouraged her. Not to worry, I'm not going to take her car. It's to humiliate him.

Reply to
jjs

I always state my mental age as '12'...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

hey me too!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I hope they are as nice in case something bad happens like your clutch cable breaks or something unexpected.

"I can hammer it back into shape later."

Reply to
Shaggie

What's suspicious about it? In general they either flash or they don't flash. If it flashes, then it's working. If it doesn't flash then I'd just fix it.

If you need a new one, make sure to get one with an inductive pickup. I don't know if they still make the older kind, however.

Mine is a Craftsman, from Sears, and is probably nearly that old.

-

Jim Adney

Jim Adney! Any ACVW events coming up near Madison?

Reply to
jjs

The Madison club always has one get-together in the spring and another in the fall. I haven't gotten a mailing for the spring one yet.

When I hear, I'll try to remember to post the info here, too.

-

Jim Adney