Regulator Question

I went out and started my bug and let it run for a while. It has been sitting for a couple weeks. As I was sitting there listening to the sweet purrrr of the flat four, I notice that my inside lights were blinking slightly. Then I notices a soft ticking sound coming from the battery area. I thought it might be the rear seat springs making contact with the battery post, so I lifted the rear seat and this did not stop the sound or the flickering lights. I suspect that the regulator is having problems. I still have the generator on my bug not an alternator.

If the regulator is going bad, and will need to be replaced, do the regulators for alternators cost about the same? I have a alternator in my parts stash that I believe requires an external regulator. Should I go ahead and make the leap to an alternator? I do not know for sure if the alt works properly as I have not had it checked. But having it checked out should be no problem, I would think.

Reply to
TerryB

The ticking may be normal. Measure the battery voltage at various speeds and loads. Should run up to 14.4V or so and then level off. If you get erratic voltage readings, go ahead and replace the reg.

Replacing the Gen with an Alt is a hefty job and you need parts to go with it. You'll have trouble finding the correct reg for it too.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nls.net:

Thanks Jim, I will check it out. What makes the ticking noise? Is the regulator similar to a relay?

Reply to
TerryB

...whatever you do... DON'T CUT THE RED WIRE!!!!!!

....Gareth (unles they know you know not to cut the red one....in which case don't cut the green one)

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Yes, there are relay-like devices inside. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim