Remco-help with alarm

the siren, led, sensor, pretty much if it makes a noise or lights up with a little led then im hopping their going to work, but the accual module i dont think is pushing the juice through the rest of the system allowing the siren to sound and the led on the sensor to light. so i guess im stuck. maybe the three D batteries isnt enough to push it all for a test or maybe the module is just gone. anything come to mind?

heres how it hooked it up, i ran the +12v from the module, siren, and sensor to the +side of my batteries, the ground from the module and the sensor the the -side of my batteries( the ground of the siren i wired to the siren wire in the module). and the extra third wire from the sensor to the -in-put to the module. then i connected all 12v= to positive of the battery bundle and all ground to the negative side. trying arming the alarm with the remotes and nothing happens. no lights, no noise. so then i tryed to switch the wiring around vis-versa for the siren, and still nothing.

i dont know, contiplating on giving up and getting rid of it. but if i did do it wrong and it does work will always be in my mind.

like i said if anything comes to mind i'll try it. still going to try to fiddle around with it for a little while.

Thanks Super Nick

Reply to
Super Nick via CarKB.com

Its been a while (many years) but my 1st guess would be that the module would put a +ve out to the siren not a -ve. Also it might only drive a relay that drives the siren in which case it wont shove enough juice at it !

I could be way off with your particular module though.

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

I changed the subject to OT, since this subject is really only perepheral to ACVWs.

Rich is right.

See if you can turn on the alarm (I take it you can tell by the LED that the alarm is on/off?) and trip it? The horn signal should change state. First make sure to check the voltage on that contact. It might be 0V, shooting up to 12V when alarming. In that case, tie the horn + to this signal, horn - to ground. It is more likely that this is a contact to ground or power so if you don't see a change in voltage, measure its resistance across to ground and its resistance to power. If you see 0 ohms to ground, tie the horn

- to this signal, horn + to 12V. If you see zero ohms to 12V, tie the horn + to this signal, horn - to ground.

I take it you have full confidence in that you can at least turn the alarm on/off now? If so, you could try tying it to a car battery at this point and hook the 12V + through a fuse. The system might be starving when hooked into some C cells. One of those in line fuses is a good idea, perhaps 4A slow blow (as Rich suggested in other post).

Once you are ready to hook it all up permanently, be sure to tie that in line fuse to a permanent car fuse in your fuse box. This is fairly common practice so that, should the 12V short out somehow, only that fuse will blow, not the car fuse that one it is tied to. If you put the fuse near the alarm system and the 12V wire shorts, the car fuse will blow - something you'll want to avoid. A separate alarm fuse is also a good idea, in case you ever want to disable the alarm. All you'll have to do is pull the in line fuse, not the car fuse (which is used elsewhere).

Remco

Reply to
Remco