Shock question

Hey guys.

I'm doing my 72 regular bug's frame at the moment and would like to replace the stuff that periodically needs replacing anyway.

What kind of shocks do you guys recommend? I looking for a reasonably comfortable ride so gas is probably better, right? How are these:

tia Remco

Reply to
Remco

oil filled shocks are great for stock cars...if you have lowered the car or like more spirited driving gas shocks are the best, but they will make the ride a little stiffer.... if you want the best of both worlds get this:

Joey Tribiani

Thanks! Just looking for a comfortable ride. Nothing special so I'll go with oil filled.

Reply to
Remco

The stock oil filled shocks combined with 3/4" anti-roll bars on both ends provides a nice ride with impressive handling. Had it on my '73 stndrd.

Reply to
Anthony

Just a quibble, but ALL shocks are oil filled.

Gas shocks just put a compressed gas chamber above the oil filled part to keep the oil pressurized. This prevents cavitation and keeps the oil-filled part full of oil, until the partition between the oil and gas parts runs out of travel.

One of the problems with standard shocks is that that all shocks slowly lose oil, so the damping chamber gets partly filled with air, which does no damping, as the piston passes thru that part.

-

Jim Adney

yes...however to most people if you they are known as oil filled and "Gas"...even my airshocks are oil filled...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani