Removal of exhaust studs

After years of sitting in a mouse infested barn, my newly aquired 69 beetle project has a few tricky nuts and bolts. I was amazed how mouse urine can eat metal. 1 of my exhaust studs has the treads rusted off. I've tried to unscrew it with a vicegrip ( soaked it overnight with PB Blaster ) and no luck. I'm afraid its gonna bust off if I do much more to it.

Any pointers to get it out would be appreciated!

Thanks! Jason

Reply to
JJW69Bug

If you have access to a welder, you could try welding a nut to the stud and turning it out.

The heat from the weld might free up some rust.

Dont get the head too hot though.

another option would be to grind it off and drill and tap - or drill and use a nut and bolt !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I have never had a problem getting off rusted and striped/rounded exhaust nuts useing a hammer and small chisel. You want to chisel at an angle in the direction the nut comes off. I just did this to a few engines this week with great success.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

I ran into the same problem, 2 years ago when I tore apart my 71, I wouldn't mess with it, I am an experienced mechanic and I took mine to a local machine shop and had them pull the stud and put in a new one. It cost me around $12.00US for the labor. Money well spent.

Reply to
dwebs262

HEAT HEAT HEAT Heat is one of my best friends here in the rust belt of Chicago to deal with rusty nuts and bolts. ;-)

Even a propane tank, MAPP gas would be hotter/better, will give you enough heat but it takes more time than an Oxy-Acel torch. Remember to heat up the area just enough so that the stud starts to move in/out of the head.

Now are you saying that the stud is completely messed up or just the nut that holds on the exhaust? If the engine is out it is relatively easy to drill out and retap the stud hole if the stud breaks off.

JMHO, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1