removing exhaust studs

Okay I'm missing an exhaust stub on one of my heads. I have an old head but can't seem to remove a stud from it without messing up the threads. Is there a trick to removing this studs?

Ben

72 SB
Reply to
benntn

buy a new stud and use two nuts and lock them together!!! They will act like a bolt when you try to install them. uh oh I better duck since someone will run with this! lol

dave

but why do you want to remove the stud? so far the good heads have studs, the problem comes when you don't have a stud on the head. Probably Jan will post here the link to his page on fixing a head with a broken stud. :)

Ant

benntn wrote:

Reply to
Ant

I want to remove a stud from an old head because the head on my car is missing one.

Reply to
benntn

..............Good advice and NAPA or Carquest sells them cheap.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

exhaust studs... they can be easy or frustrating as hell.

put a little heat to the studs and oil the snot out of them!!! then i put

2 nuts on the stud and jam them together ( every mechanic knows that dont they?)... put a wrench on them and back the stud out...

BEWARE though dont go wrenching them back and forth with brute force or you WILL snap it off!!

anyway read all about different methods that john henry has on his website...incase you have an exhaust stud snapped off... it really works!

Reply to
dragenwagen

It's often impossible to remove an old stud from a head without breaking it. The original studs were installed with the head hot, then the alum cooled and shrank to fit tightly around the stud. You're MUCH better off going to what seems like extra trouble and expense and buy a new stud.

-

Jim Adney