Stoping rust on disc brake hubs

hey all. I installed front disc brakes on my '73 beetle recently. They work great, and they look great. That is they looked great until the hub portion of the disc started to coat with a surface rust after it rained. The rotor is obviously rust free, as I drive the car almost every day, so the brakes rub off any rust that might start. I was wondering if it would be permissable to coat *just* the hub portion of the disc with a flat black rust-inhibiting paint. Will this prevent proper brake cooling? Or will the rotor cool just fine b/c it doesn't have paint on that part? Just wondering. The rust is not causing any performance or structural problems yet, I just want to know if this is really a big deal, and if I should stop it now. Thanks! ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I cannot see painting it a problem....(not the rotor)...but remember, they get VERY hot...ie..they will glow when hit hard, so you will need very high temp paint

Neil

Reply to
Neil

They make paint especially for rotors, calipers, and drums. If you can't find that, engine paint should do. I painted my front rotors, including the edge, black without masking them, then just wiped off the center with lacquer thinner. The first time you use the brakes they will clean up leaving only the contact area unpainted so you'll have pretty much no rust at all. If you've got nothing palnned for a couple of hours, go ahead and paint the calipers and drums while your out there. Clean them up with a wire brush and wipe em clean with brake cleaner. I've got the black rotors up front, with red calipers and rear drums. It shows through my Empi 8 spokes and looks pretty sharp. I think it does anyway. Your taste, and results, may vary.

Reply to
Zarana-X