New motor update

Just thought I'd post some updates on the new 1776.

For the last two weeks I've had the thing in and out of my winter-driver 3 times looking, apparently, for a non-existant problem.

Well, I actually did have one actual problem. See it?

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-527F.JPG The top of the stud is in contact with the washer. Rookie mistake.

Anyway, after I cleared that up I hung the engine and went for a ride. What a racket! I had a very load-dependant sound that I hadn't heard with the engine running in on the test stand. It sounded _just_ like a loose head to me. Or maybe a bad exhaust leak. Perhaps a valve not closing? Argh.

So, last week I swapped the old stocker back into the car and tore the new motor down to a short-block. No sign of leakage at the clinder-to-head interface. OK, what about rod-knock? Nope, rods seem OK. Flywheel wasn't loose. No exhaust problems. Hmmm.

So Saturday I put the new engine back in the car. Still getting that sound. Pretty loud compared to the stocker. The idea was to drive it (very carefully) to work and drop by Randy Bowen's shop on my way home. I needed an experienced ear.

I should note at this point that Randy Bowen is one of the good guys in the business. Folks that have lived here for years all swear by him. So if ever you are near Colorado Springs and need a good ACVW guy, Randy is your man.

Well Randy listens to the car, then drives it around the block. When he gets out, he's got this grin...

Turns out that when the PO turned this Bug into a Baja, he hadn't replaced the sound deadening material in the spaces above the engine bay on either side of the window. What I've been hearing is the un-impeded sound of the intake. In contrast to the stock 1600 with it's oil-bath air filter, these Kadrons have a serious bark to them. Specially when you're listening for any hint of problems in your very first engine!

BTW, I had performed a leakdown test before the engine had even been started, just out of curiousity. The readings were pretty poor, in the

40-50% range. The new rings were, of course, leaking like crazy. Now, with around 100 miles on the engine, the readings are 5-7% all the way around. I suspect it will get better over the next few weeks.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

HehHe! Glad you found that one!

Totally unrelated, but I thought I'd share this one:

Had just installed my new rebuild and went out for the shakedown cruise. It was fine on the city streets so I headed for the freeway. Just as I go under the overpass for the ramp entrance, the thing makes the loudest "Ratta-Tat_Ratta-Tat" noise I've ever heard!

I switched it off and began coasting to a clear spot under the overpass. My mind was doing flip flops trying to make sense of the noise and what I possibly had done wrong in the rebuild. I was on the point of tears.

As I sat there I realized the noise was still going on. Was it in my head? No. There were 2 highway workers on the bridge structure above me using jackhammers !!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Great story, Max. FWIW, I put 1" aircraft sealed-cell soundproofing in my kitcar, and dual quiet-pack exhausts and now _all_ you can hear is the roar of the dual weber 44s from the rear deck ram scoop. Damned loud, eh? :)

Reply to
jjs

Hehe!

Several years ago I was driving a Geo Prism through the San Jose CA city streets in stop & go traffic. And I could smell radiator fluid. And I'm thinking: man that poor sap in front of me will be going home on the hook!

.... DOH!

;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

On Tue, 11 May 2004 08:57:44 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

hehe....i have a similar "experience"...no need to share as yours is almost identical.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Reply to
Lloyd McClelland