Sapphire I radio

Looking to fill a big hole in my new (Ok, 1964) bug's life, as well as keep me relatively sane on my long commutes to and from work, so am looking for a (hopefully) working Sapphire I.

Looking to pay $25-$50, depending on condition, not looking for NOS, "perfect" or anything, just something that hopefully produces intelligible noise.

Reply to
ekoman

Hiya Eric,

One of the "big box" early Sapphires will very likely wind up costing you more than $25 to $50 bucks, especially if it's working. My guess would be that you're probably looking at between $30 and $50 bucks for a non-worker, but complete with knobs and chrome in OK shape. Having a tech go through it and do a clean and repair will cost about $75 to $100 if it's innards are in relatively good shape. Best source for this would be a swap/show.

Mike

1970 AS Bug
Reply to
Bookwus1

Fifty bucks is about what a reproduction radio delete plate costs. Go for the radio.

There are seven sapphire radios on ebay right now. One Sapphire 1 at $35 with 11 hours to go, and six other Sapphires from $20 to $9. (Watch the Sapphire 1 bids go through the roof at the end of the auction. It looks real good.)

Just search on sapphire radio to see them all.

Reply to
jjs

That's not the Sapphire I that's correct to the '64 IIRC. The one you want has horizontal tuning buttons and a smaller faceplate opening. Scroll down to find the 1964 radios, looks like there were at least two available to the North American market

Hope that helps,

BB

intelligible

Reply to
Beetle Bailey

Very neat page! Thanks!

Hell, I just want a 6V radio that makes noise, really don't care if it's "correct" and certainly didn't expect to have to be forced to sell my firstborn into slavery (again) for this... :)

Damn, I've probably thrown away at least a dozen of these. Live and learn, I guess. Can't keep everything, though.

Maybe I need to do a 12V conversion. Bleah, I got this bug with the original rotor and distributor cap, (Both with VW logos on them, at least, something I haven't seen in a long time.) and will wade on with this.

Reply to
ekoman

...........Here's another link that lists four different sapphire radios that are correct for a '64 bug, one of which is am/fm:

..............If you're not in a big hurry, I'd suggest that you'll find the 'best deals' at the swap shops at the upcoming shows this season. Ebay is very cut-throat........you'll probably pay more and not know for sure what you've got until after you've paid your money. If you're not satisfied, you then have to go through the hassle of returning it and waiting for a refund. Just my opinion.

BTW..........On my '66, I'm planning to use a correct block off plate and then hang a modern all in one CD player under the dash hooked up to a 6 to

12 volt converter box that came with this bug when I bought it.
Reply to
Tim Rogers

You can get one of those glovebox liners and put it in there - looks very neat!

I've no radio in mine though... just have to sing :-D

-- Howard Rose '66 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe '62 Austin Mini Deluxe '64 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Howard Rose

....................I like the easier access under the center of the dash. Besides, where would I keep all of the stuff that's usually in my glove compartment? I'm thinking of fabricating a housing/enclosure that would look a little more tidy than just hanging it out in the open. Of course, this would be what's called a reversible modification. At least in comparison to hacking out the dash opening. I'm planning to leave this '66 unmodified except for minor things like this which could be easily reversed.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

is a sapphire I radio correct for a 63 beetle?

Reply to
paul horvath

Tim Rogers