Screw Size?

On the 71 Wonderbus, it's a day of installing all those bit and pieces that I have purchased. I am disappointed to find that the replacement interior dome light that I got from aircooled.net does not fit -- the old lamp is much larger all around and the new one doesn't snap into the old hole; it just falls out. Need to contact John about that one.

Inge and I are putting in the new heater boxes. I am mystified that the old ones do not appear to have an interior leak: plugging one end of the exhaust line while blowing into the other does not reveal any leaks. However I did get that painful popping behind my jaws that I get when trying to inflate balloons by mouth. Salivary glands puffing up with air. But we'll install the new boxes and if I still get exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment when the heaters are opened I'll try to figure

*that* one out.

I need some help identifying a screw size. The floor of the engine compartment, aft of the engine is not screwed down on the inside sides like it should be because I'm missing some screws. I'm not talking about the smaller crescent-shaped engine cover that goes immediately aft of the engine and has the two round holes for the ducts that come from the shroud. Rather, the larger piece rearward of it that is held in place with two (or four) bolts at the back of the bus, on the outside, above the bumper. That piece of metal has three holes per side that are meant to be affixed with sheet-metal screws, which go into clips, not threaded holes.

What is the size of these six screws?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Don't know the size of screws for ya, but if there are clips that they go into, just bring a clip to the ol' hardware store and either find some that fit, or find some replacement clips and replace all of it. I DO have a question for you though, now that you have confirmed that there was no exhaust leak - Looking into the end of the heat exchangers that leads to the passenger compartment, what color do you see? Is it at all dark and grungy? I s it caked with any "stuff" inside? Is it perfectly clean and dry and greyish looking? It may be best to figure out what that smell was and how it got to the passenger compartment before buttoning everything back up!

- Dave

Reply to
Busahaulic

Um . . . "duh," is, I believe, the proper response.

Good idea. Will advise when it is light outside.

I can report that the new heater boxes do not smell of exhaust, but more like new paint and . . . goodness gracious, there is now *heat* in the Wonderbus.

I should add that IMHO, the box-to-exhaust manifold compression clamps that were provided with the gasket kit I got from Aircooled are crap. The original clamps are a two-piece design, requiring two bolts. The replacement parts were wimpy bent pieces of mild steel that require one bolt. The provided bolts are a few millimeters too short to make it easy to reach the nut that is swedged onto the other half, while being perfectly strong enough to assure that if things get cross-threaded -- and they will because the clamp is such a POS -- that the nut will break free and spin freely. Used the old compression clamps with new stainless bolts and nuts.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

clips

the

and

it

everything

exhaust, but more

*heat* in the

compression clamps

Aircooled are crap.

bolts. The

that require one

to make it easy

while being

cross-threaded --

nut will break

new stainless

Reply to
Busahaulic

Nope -- that's not the thing in my line. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Mine smelled like fumes because 1) I had an exhaust leak after the heat exchangers and the fumest were slightly drawn into the engine=20 compartment and to the fan 2) my crank case breather hose from the oil filler to air cleaner was not connected and all blowby was sucked from the engine compartment to the fan.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Interesting. My crankcase breather is not hooked up either. I have dual Kads and even after replacing the heater boxes I still smell exhaust, especially when idling at a traffic light. Where might I connect this breather tube?