Sell Me An Auto-Stick Gland Nut? Where? ASAP

If anyone has an Auto-Stick gland nut, please sell it to me.

I can not find one anywhere.. The Shop I took the engine too has been promising to locate me one for 2 weeks. I rebuilt my engine and can wait no longer to have it installed and running again. We had the wrong Gland Nut put in to begin with a week before, so I've been anxiously awaiting the results of my rebuilt engine for near a month over this gland nut. Funny thing is, the original gland nut held me up months on the rebuild because I could not get it off. I simply pulled it out with the crank attached and got another crank, thinking case closed. Now it haunts me, the shop can't get my original gland nut off the crank either. Even if he did get it off now, we don't trust it because he took the torch to it and still wouldn't budge.

If you have one for sale, or know of a place, please email me.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
ANDREWBA

What's so special about it? Is it flatter than the normal gland nut? I think you can still get flatter gland nuts from many parts vendors that are "Super hyper Heavy Duty" and take a larger socket. They *look* flatter in pictures.

I have also torn down engines that had a ground down stock gland nut, it seemed to hold ok. Was a stock engine.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

If you can not find a new one, I am pretty sure I have a new/used one somewhere in my parts bins. Let me know if you want me to look!

dave

More shallow, and does not have bearings so the toque converter can slide into it.

Reply to
ANDREWBA

Several possibilities:

1) Reuse the old one: since there's no bearing there's no reason to replace it. 2) Take the bearing out of a standard MT one, and thin off the top on a lathe. This would only take a minute; easy work at any machine shop. -

Jim Adney

Does this gland nut also center/hold the torque converter?

dave

is where I got mine ages ago for my 74 super beetle that I ended up converting to 4 speed anyways...

Reply to
Nein H20 VWs

It does on type 3s, not sure about the others, but I suspect it does. The OP didn't specify.

On type 3s there is a nub on the torque converter that sticks in the hole in the center of the gland nut. The MT nut has the right size hole once you remove the pilot bearing.

-

Jim Adney

Hello - The old gland nut wont come off of the crank. The mechanic used a torch, breaker bar, impact wrench.. I broke my 3/4 Craftsman Breaker bar trying. I am also unable to physically modify a MT gland nut and shave metal off of it to simulate the Auto-Stick version. I couldn't live with myself for using a rigged up part like that. If it were to ever come back off.. That would be too costly of a mistake over a few dollars. I am referring to a Gland Nut for a 1971 1600cc Auto-Stick Super Beetle. Anyone have one for sale, know of a place to buy one new? Several people tell me that they have tons of them in their shed! No luck, still looking... :)

Please send me an email if you have one to sale, or see a website with them.

Reply to
ANDREWBA

..................Find someone with a bigger impact wrench. The largest that I've ever seen was 3/4" drive and about 800 ft/lbs of torque. There might be some around that are even larger. A shop that works on large diesel trucks would be a good place to start inquiring.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

If you can't get the old one out, then buy a new MT one and get a machine shop to modify it to what you need. There's no magic to this. They were made by machine tools, they can be made by other machine tools.

All you need is enough of the old one, or enough dimensions off it, to duplicate it.

-

Jim Adney

ok ok I will look for one of mine and try to let you know tomorrow! later, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I mailed him one tuesday morning so I wouldn't sweat looking for one........

Reply to
Mac

Find an Ingersoll-Rand or Wurth rep, and get the big grunter Gun. I sell an ingersoll-rand unit which is 3/4" and has 1100 ft/lb

Reply to
Allan Williams

way to go Mac! I need to organize all my air-cooled items anyway, like these gland nuts, and autostick seals and bushings. Stuff I have not used in decades! ;-)

dave