Semi OT VWoA

Well it has been 3 or 4 years since I have heard about VWoA suing anyone over a domain name or something else if anyone still remembers that. If you were going to buy a new commuter car, would you go with a Watercooled VW? The reason I ask is that someone who knows that I have an old VW, asked why I don't drive a New Beetle or Golf for a daily driver. It did not take long to think about it, and decide that the answer would be NO, I would not buy a new VW. It is not anything to do with any bad feelings towards VWoA, but just really don't like what they are offering that much. If looking for an economical new commuter car, I would probably go with a Civic (like Shaggie has) or something similar in the Toyota line. My daily driver is still a 95 Escort Wagon which has been a great car. Has 97K on it now. What are you guys driving for you commuter car? Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

64 beetle

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Currently driving a 73 VW Thing as my daily driver, and travel significant distances every other week in it. I have it, I see no reason not to drive it.

Reply to
Ed B

... My daily driver is still a 95 Escort Wagon which

74 Beetle. Wife uses a 99 Peugeot 406 to ferry three kids about. Bus comes out at weekend to take kids to park.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

No. There's more value for the same amount of money available with other makes. Without sacrificing reliability (heck, even with BETTER reliability, VW has gone down in that area) I don't like the cars either. They don't look appealing to me, outside or inside.

And yes, it's an organization that doesn't deserve my support.

Civic (like Shaggie has) or

If I wanted a daily driver commuter car that I could trust, I'd prolly go for a Toyota. If I had more money I'd choose a new Subaru.

For now, my 67 bug and 66 bus. I drive them to work every day (oh and the convertible when teh weather allows it) from May to October, usually.

In the winter I drive my 86 Subaru turbo wagon. It's waiting for new paint now, all primered and rust free. Should get it done within a month. NEED to anyway.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

My current daily drivers are a 1970 Cutlas wagon with over 400,000 miles on it and a 1994 Honda Del Sol when I don't want to worry about finding a large parking space

Reply to
insanitize

.....................'77 bug except for about 4 winter months when there's salt on the roads. Then, it'll be a '01 Maxima this year.

Reply to
Tim Rogers
1968 Bus if possible. If time is an issue or I have to tow something, then the Sport trac.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

1960 ragtop Bug. My wife drives a 2004 Passat station wagon. I like the Passat, handles nice, has a nice ride and I like the looks for a new car that is. But the Bug is by far much more fun to drive.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I've wanted a Jetta for a long time, but after seeing the problems DeeDee's had with her brand new Beetle, I don't think I would trust VWoA. If I was going to buy a new car, I'd buy an '04 Subaru WRX STi. Or maybe a Toyota truck, like a Tacoma or a Tundra.

Until then, I'm stuck with a '97 Honda Civic. Despite it's lack of care over the last few years (thank my mother), the only things that have gone wrong with it are the CV joints (I'm sure due to my insane driving styles - shut up Jan -) and the A/C. Aside from regular things like brake pads, that car's been a gem.

Kidd "We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

I'm still driving the 2000 New Beetle. I hate it. I wish I never got it, but I'm still paying for it. When it breaks, it is difficult to fix (even with the computer interface). The check engine light comes on for no good reason and the interior has not aged well. Little things keep falling off. I will not buy another.

-Jen

Reply to
Aquarijen

A 1970 standard Bug. White with superficial surface rusty spots I am repairing one by one. Original tranny ~300K miles on it. 3rd engine ~

100K miles on it so far. Does NOT leak any oil. ;P

If I had to buy a new car I would probably look at these new hybrids. Or I would just buy a Ford F-150 truck. I can't buy a 1967 VW bus new? No fair.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

1999 MAZDA 626 V6 with manual 5 SPD.
Reply to
Red Bug

I hope to get me a pre'67 van someday, for daily driving, untill then i have to share the squeeky Toyota.

Roger

"Bill Berckman" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m04.aol.com...

Reply to
bug '59

Something interesting about Subaru that I was reading in Car & Driver. It said when you buy a WRX, you get a free years membership in to some SCAA club. From that fact, I am assuming that Subaru is encouraging the owner to drive the car as it was intended. On the other hand it was saying that Mitsubishi in VWoAesque fashion has been scanning the message boards on the net, and voiding the warranties of people who brag about their exploits in their EVO. I guess all car companies are not created equal. In the past, there have been stories of VW reps going to car shows and writing down the Vin numbers of modified cars still under warranty and then voiding the warranty of that car.

On an unrelated note from the same magazine, it said in relation to Toyota Lease car returns, that some of the cars have been coming back in with the same oil filter that was put on at the factory. I don't like leasing because people should take ownership of their vehicles and take care of them. But then again, the Yuppies probably would not be able to afford the top of the line Lexus SUV without leasing it. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

I'm contiunually amazed at how expensive the fastest declining EXPENSE in the country is.

Daily drivers... '98 ISUZU HOMBRE... same thing as an S-10... paid about $3500 for it with 50k on the clock. My prior Nissan Truck had

250k before it croaked -- got tired of hauling 2 ton loads (yes this is the truth)

My Wife Drives a '98 Camry (chick car)....

Our club is tight with a VW Dealership. I like the new models... I'm just VERY afraid of anything that the service manager says is always a

3 hour job (like replacing Toureg rear signal lights -- no joke)...

I'd have a much rosier opinion if VW was willing to supply parts to supply the need -- even if they had to resell.

Next car????? Suby or ricer truck

Reply to
MN AirHead

Check yesterday's financial news. VW is cutting back on production. Again.

Reply to
jjs

I guess all of that arrogance is finally catching up with them. Remember this

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman