Carlsbad (CA USA) VW show

When my wife and I were riding our bicycles this weekend we passed a VW show at a local car dealer's lot in Carlsbad, CA. Folks must have come from miles around to show off their pride and joys. We saw many beautiful, sweet, lovingly-restored splitties and buggies. It was very, very inspiring.

"We could do that," sez my wife. "I'd love a little bug. I was talking to one of the guys and he said that there is a good upholstery shop in Oceanside. I told him that you had been working on a 71 bus and he said that 71 buses are great first VW's for folks to start on."

I explain that parts are available, and I figure that maybe it would be fun. But, alas, I don't have a shop or a garage to do the work in. No matter how fair the weather is in this neck of the woods, I can't see restoring a car in the driveway.

But my gracious some of those vintage 60's and 50's VW's were pretty. Even the bright red fire truck bus.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I'm in that situation, too. But I'm doing it anyways. I got the engine in the living room. Right now, I'm filing away all the casting flash on the heads so the air-flow over fins is more efficient. And the tranny is under the table.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I admire your determination. Your interior decor might leave a bit to be desired, though. In this little house with three teenage kids already cluttering up the place, doing such a thing would try the patience of my new wife, as loving and tolerant as she is. Another way to put it: she'd have my balls for billiards if I tried it. And she's the one who would love to have a restored bug.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

When we bought our current house, having a place to work was at the top of my list. Working in the driveway definitely has its limits.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I hear ya. Engine is new and clean, and thankfully my project isn't getting in the way (not terribly at least). There's a pile of parts on the floor around the table and have no place to go.

See Dave make aluminum dust on table:

David Gravereaux

I sure hear that, Mike.

I had the opportunity to attend the "Kelley Park" show in San Jose this year. I was dutifully amazed at the quality of craftsmanship displayed on these cars and busses. And the best part was, except for some very vintage (and pristine) examples, the majority of them were actually driven ... not just trailer queens.

My wife and I have seriously debated what to do with Herman as far as level of restoration. One of our deciding factors in keeping him a decent looking daily driver over a full on resto job is that he's a Super Beetle .... yes, it's true .... Herman's a fat chick. Once I get the last of our three sons out of the house, we'll look for a more deserving candidate for long nights of tinkering.

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Reply to
Braukuche

I work on my cars on the driveway, in the garage, back yard, front yard, second garage, third garage, yard at second&third garage location...

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Dan, we must have seen your car, and my lovely wife even said that she'd really like a convertible. However, the idea of a convertible with a roof rack has me furrowing my brows in puzzlement (how do they do that?).

You're right -- showing up in the Wonderbus would have garnered more points than walking around in funny-looking road bicycle togs.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Dan, we must have seen your car, which may have been the one that prompted my lovely wife to comment that she'd really like a convertible bug.

However, the idea of a convertible with a roof rack has me furrowing my brows in puzzlement (how do they do that?).

You're right -- showing up in the Wonderbus would have garnered more points than walking around in funny-looking road bicycle togs.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Dan, we must have seen your car, which may have been the one that prompted my lovely wife to comment that she'd really like a convertible bug.

However, the idea of a convertible with a roof rack has me furrowing my brows in puzzlement (how do they do that?).

You're right -- showing up in the Wonderbus would have garnered more points than walking around in funny-looking road bicycle togs.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sorry about the triple-post. Goofy newsreader glitch.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Braukuche

I'm trying to think but nothing's happening. Show me a picture.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

....thats ok, some people are just that way....nothign to be ashamed about. ;-)

Show me a picture.

...ok here's one...

...glad I could help..

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

There you go.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Suddenly it is clear. My tiny rodent brain grasps the concept.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

And a cool concept it is. Why they went from the rag to the metal top escapes me, other than maybe aesthetic considerations?? The metal top is very sleek look.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Reply to