So, everything that can go wrong, has

Some of ya from years back might remember my rants about the noobs and typical things like, "It will idle but farts when I press the pedal" and all that. I'm there now (and more!) with this worn out POS "rebuilt" (by Warshawski's, I'm sure) engine. I'm tired of crawling under that late-model badly rebuilt Bug engine, specially since I got the pristine modified '58. (bless the man who got it to me.)

Well, here's what I'm a-doin for the '72 (that's my NEW Bug. I ain't touchin the '58). I'm going electric. Make it a short-trip town car after all. Yup, committed. Hope the insane asylum doesn't catch on before I make it so.

The engine will be on the curb for the trash movers by July 20th.

GOT to get my welding skills up to date to build the battery mounts.

:)

Reply to
John Boy

The electric sounds good. I might be up your way in the next few weeks.........Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

What are you looking at w/re a motor? 48v, or 24? For an around-town go getter - 10-15hp, or, 100-150amp (48v) sustained design pt? Planning to PWM the motor for speed control; or use gonzo MOSFET as series current regulator (hence speed control)? [worked with a neigbor in the 70's to make an electric ford cortina - then the electronics where the limiting factor.]

greg

Reply to
greg mushial

What you want to do is use some large MOSFETS or IGBTs (I'm thinking big MOSFETS in an H-bridge). You definitely want to use pulse width modulation (PWM) to control speed. Using a big MOSFET (with an even bigger heatsink) in the linear region (i.e. as a big series regulator as stated below) is very wasteful. You essentially turn your motor into a constant power load if you go this route so you burn as much power at min RPMs as you do at max RPMs, the only difference is where you burn it. At min RPMs you burn it in the FET and at max RPMs you burn it in the motor. Forget about all of this and use PWM for speed control. I'd think about designing my own PWM controller but I suspect that you can probably buy one off the shelf.

Once you get it going you could think about making it more sophisticated by turning the motor into a generator during braking thus re-capturing energy that is normally turned into waste heat by your brakes. This is of course is what modern hybrids do.

greg mushial wrote:

Reply to
John Crichton

I contacted Jim Bob and Ben and they both think you should create a flux capacitor.

hard part will generating the 1.21 gigawatts required to activate the flux capacitor.

Reply to
Randall Post