Spark Plug Q's

I changed my plug due to failing emissions and noticed a few things.

The gaps were to much, about .010 too big. I know that will affect emissions.

Another thing I found was that the plugs were not tight. They weren't rattling but I could remove them by hand with a socket, no wrench/handle req'd. What problems could this cause?

Lastly, The plug wires are Bosch which fit on the plugs threaded contact. You unscrew the typical contact which comes with the plugs. But when the wires are inserted even though I know they make contact, they seem loose. Is that normal and what problem can that cause? It's not misfiring or anything that occurs when a wire is pulled or cut.

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

That would depend on how long and on how far you drove it that way. If you removed it without any problem and installed a new plug and tightened it without any problem then it should be OK. I torque mine to 14 ft. lbs. I think the manual says 18 ft. lbs.

You should definitely have to pull on the wire to get it loose from the plug. It should not fall off by itself. As long as it is running smooth it should be OK. You might want to save up for a new set of plug wires.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I only change my plugs when the engine is cold from sitting over night.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Here is a link for aircooled VW F.I.:

I hope it helps.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Good advice.

if you don't have a torque wrench, and the threads are so clean that you can feel the plug bottom out against the crush ring: Turn 1/4 - 1/2 turn more to allow the crush ring to work.

Reply to
Jan Andersson