spitting & jerking fuel problem

Maybe there's something in your tank that slides/rolls/slushes towards the back when inclined either by terrain or speed (does the nose go up at higher speeds?) and partially blocks the fuel line?

Mike

1970 Type II "George"
Reply to
ThreeMile

It sounds like something funny with your ignition system. either the points or perhaps your plug gap is too wide, or the plugs are dirty. just my wild guess....

Reply to
Gary

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:38:34 -0700, "JOHN" ran around screaming and yelling:

check your float bowl level in your carb....all decent repair manuals have this procedure(you do have at least one manual don't you?, if not you should get one soon)...

J P.S. there were no super beetles till the 1971 model year

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Is the timing correct? Is the vacuum advance working?

Reply to
ccr

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:35:41 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote: . This is best done when

...true...but usually when you absolutely NEED to do it the tank is nearly full....at leats it works that way for me.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I got a 70 supper beetle, with carb, duel port. The engine runs great. As long as you only go 50 mph. If you drive it 60mph and more for a 200 to 300 yards at that speed it starts to spit and sputter , like it's running out of fuel. I get off the gas and let the engine get running good again at 50 mph. And if I have to go up a long hill it will do the same thing, like start to spit and sputter, I have to back off the gas little by little till it makes it up. I have even put a electric fuel pump on it and it still did it the same thing. I replaced the hose from the bottom of the tank. And the hose from the rear connection threw the firewall. I even ran a new line from the rear connection to the fuel pump. Right now I got the mechanical pump in it with all the new hoses and new line I ran, and it still does it. Can there be something else??? Please HELP JOHN

Reply to
JOHN

could it be vapor-locking?...check float lever also

-james

Reply to
jabobia

Mine done exactly the same thing last week. Took off the fuel filter and it spit air from the tank, replaced the fuel filter even though it seemed to run thru it ok. But my guess is that it wasn't letting enough gpm thru it. Havent had a problem since.

Reply to
Steve