starting problem

went to start my 74 standard today. kept cranking and it wouldn't turn over. i let it rest for a bit and it finally started. looked like there was gas around the bottom of the air cleaner. when i revved the engine via the carb gas came out of the left exhaust pipe. after it ran for a few minutes no gas was emitted from the pea shooter. car was recently tuned up and carb was rebuilt. help.

Reply to
paul horvath

Since the carb was rebuilt, that makes it a suspect. It sounds like the engine is flooding and the float needle valve may not be seating perfectly. It's even possible that the needle valve is not screwed in tightly.

If the weather is hot where you are, it's also possible that the carb is flooding due to fuel boiling in the bowl. This condition is worsened if you park facing uphill.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

last 34 carb I rebuilt just a few months ago had a faulty float valve in the kit. Everything seemed to be fine, tuned it started it a few times and ran it. Then a day or two later I go fire up the bus and somethin' funny happens. Go to the back to see fuel bubblin' out everywhere! Float was not working correctly. I put the old one back in and have been golden ever since.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

On 14 Jul 2004 23:12:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comma (Mark Detro) ran around screaming and yelling:

Mark, i too have experienced the "bad" needle and seat valves in the rebuild kits over theyears....i tend to play it safe these days, if the needle and seat is fine when i go to rebuild the carb i put the old one back in...sounds counterproductive, but it has cured the problem of me having to pull the top off again to switch the old one back in....numerous times over the years... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I filled my engine up with probably about 2 gallons of gas when I parked my car uphill. I have to assume that my needle valve failed...... also I have an electric fuel pump. Thought I blew out a flywheel seal because of the puddle that formed under my car when I was warming it up just prior to work. Pulled the motor to change the flywheel seal and when I removed a valve cover to adjust the valves about a quart of gas/oil came pouring out!!! Now I back into my driveway to make sure I don't gravity feed my fuel tank to my engine anymore.

Mac

Reply to
Mac

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:51:01 -0500, "Mac" ran around screaming and yelling:

this is a somewhat common problem....gravity always wins...LOL... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani