Stock carb question.

I'm cleaning/rebuilding a stock 34 PICT 3. Exactly where is (are) the accelerator pump check valve(s)....are they built into the body or? Thanks. Bill.

Reply to
Bill

Built into passages inside the body.

The one off the float bowl needs a special tiny threaded tool to pull a brass plug out. This is the inlet to the pump.

The one below the jet port is held in by a brass pin IIRC.

I never take them out unless there is some compelling reason. If you think one is stuck, rap the side of the casting with a suitable tool to free it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Quite often the crud and fuzz accumulates in the bottom of the float bowl and this usually eats away at the seat where the check ball would seat against. An old mechanic told me of a trick where you us a thin nail set, which looks like a narrow punch, to tap the ball into the seat restoring the seal surface.

Use a small length of chain saw fuel line (tiny) to slip over the brass throttle pipe and put the other end into a small graduated body such as a 10cc plastic syringe available from any feed store for pennys. This is the only way to accurately verify the pump volume. Otherwise, you're just guessing. 1.4 to 1.8CC/stroke is spec on these carbs.

I just got my 34PICT back from Chard's Carbs where it got rebushed and totally rebuilt. It's another option...

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe