Thoughts on Posting Advice

Why? Ego trip? I suppose there is a degree of cometitiveness. It's always nice to beat Speedy Jim with a reply but even better if I get it right! I think Jim actually *knows* all the stuff he responds with. That's why he's so damned speedy. Me - I often have to research it before I post cuz I simply cannot remember from one day to the next anymore, it seems! Then there are the times I hurry up and post - "OOh-ooh! I KNOW this one! I KNOW the ANSWER!..." and those times I end up making a typo or saying something that was out of a dream (nightmare) or somewhere besides reality! Somebody (usually JAN) comes along afterwards and points out that Busahaulic has his head up his ass ONCE AGAIN and is posting jibberish!

I try, though and when I see my stoopid misteaks I come back and try to make excuses.... I mean I apologize for giving wrong info.... Heck, I have hurriedly sent off e-mails to people I posted the wrong specs for, hoping that they will read their e-mail before RAMVA so they don't blow up their engine or sumpin!

But why bother? I guess there are a few people who just like to be helpful whenever and wherever they can. I'm always being chased away when I try to help at work... "Get outa here Dave - we've got it under control. Thanks, but we don't need your help..." meaning, of course, if you help, we're gonna end up re-doing the whole f'ing thing, so stay away and don't mess it up any worse! So I come here, pouting, and search for the questions to which I have the answers! Easy heroics 101.

It is always a real boost when the person I or Jim is helping cames back with a reply and tells us what they found and thanks us for our help. That makes for a *good day*.

I guess maybe I have forgotten some of my Usenet etiquette in my most recent reply. It's not all the time that you find a request for help from someone in your own neighborhood with the same make and model you have owned for years and know inside-out! I suggested e-mailing me so I could give him my phone number and we can get together and solve the problem. I forgot about paranoia and thought only about the fact that I've been around here forever (actually not as long as I thought - March of 1999 was the earliest sign of Busahaulic. I had some earlier posts, but they got flamed cuz they were the typical newbie posts about Berg Ent. and GEX and so on...) and that anybody that doesn't trust ME certainly hasn't done their homework! So I figure I have THE answer, the "Coupe DeVille" of all replies and it goes un-acknowledged.

Bummer.

Such is life in Usenet.

-BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

.....................You're welcome to help me as much as is possible. You've given me some good information in the past. If others don't appreciate you........screw 'em.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I still love you too. *hugs*

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

..............I just took another look at the thread in question that was begun by robear and I think that your advice was very good. In addition to replacing the rubber boot on the gas tank filler tube and checking the hoses on the engine, what about trying some dry-gas additive to absorb some the water that might be causing his problems? If it was me, I'd consider draining and flushing that gas tank, blowing out the gas lines with compressed air and replacing the fuel line filter and of course replacing that filler boot as well. Also, what about changing to a different gas station in case that's a contributing source of water in his gas?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Nah - just blabbering. It's always nice to have replies, y'know! I figure the guy is using a computer that he doesn't have access to all the time. That was why I suggested the phone call which is when I was gonna tell him about adding some alcohol and changing the filter, etc. The FI systems are remarkable at gobbling up a fairly large amount of water, so after he runs the tank down to almost empty, adds two bottles of the drier, and re-fills the tank, he's pretty much home free. The real bastard is replacing that rubber elbow unless he's an accountant and doesn't work out! My arms just won't fit where they need to to replace it! Lotsa little details and it's always nice to meet someone who's on the same track I've been on for so long... (same siding maybe?)

The gas driers just hold the water in suspension, which the FI system does a pretty good job of once the fuel pump runs for awhile.

Draining the gas tank has its own liabilities, especially here in Seattle area. What are ya gonna do with it after you drain it? I suppose you could pour it in a neighbor's gas tank - one that you don't like!

Then again, what if he writes back and the rubber elbow is in good shape - no rip? Then I have to eat my words and squirm a bit, don't I? Of course, that is when Speedy Jim steps in and explains to the guy that my advice was very good and that it would have been right on except for the teensy bit of misinformation in his original post - and goes on to solve the problem, save the day, wipe the egg off my face and make the world safe for aircooled enthusiasts. (He's having some trouble with the tall buildings in a single bound, so cut him some slack!)

I gotta get of this computer and go do something! - Anything! -BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

LOL!

Just for the record (if there is one:-), many, many of your suggestions far outstripped mine. Lotta days, I feel like a novice...

USENET, by definition, isn't about ONE person; it's the cumulative imput of the community.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I realize that most of my advice and opinions are not of the caliber of many of you guys but I share what I think to help, not hurt and I think most do. I think your advice to be very sound and helpful.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:33:28 -0400, Speedy Jim scribbled this interesting note:

And he's humble too!

John Willis